Black Skirt Tetra Trouble

Cindy Liu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently added 2 new black skirt tetras to my tanks, so now there are 6 black skirt tetras in total. I thought that they would be more comfortable in a bigger group but aughhhhh, they absolutely do not get along anymore after the addition of the new fish and won't school, instead constantly nipping and chasing each other. They're stressing out my gourami because when they chase each other, they get into his territory. I have a 50 gallon tank and besides the 6 tetras there is the blue gourami, 5 serpae, a pleco, and an angelfish. Is my tank overstocked, which is causing the issue??? What should I do?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey, and welcome to FishLore!

The reason why you might be experiencing some chasing from the school is that there might be a bad neighbor, which is one of these fish. The other fish probably aren't the cause. What type of pleco in general? I don't think you are overstocked, but you might have to find the black skirt who is causing the trouble.

Cindy Liu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey, and welcome to FishLore!

The reason why you might be experiencing some chasing from the school is that there might be a bad neighbor, which is one of these fish. The other fish probably aren't the cause. What type of pleco in general? I don't think you are overstocked, but you might have to find the black skirt who is causing the trouble.
It's an albino bristlenose around 3 inches long. I've had him for a year and a half now.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, you aren't overstocked. In fact, you might have to watch the skirts closely, and maybe you can exchange one, for a different one.

Cindy Liu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, you aren't overstocked. In fact, you might have to watch the skirts closely, and maybe you can exchange one, for a different one.
Oh thank goodness ;V; ~ that's great to hear. Alright, I'm going to keep an eye on them and figure out who's causing all the trouble. Thank you!

Letsfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had added 6 black skirts to my 55 Gallon they turned out to be thugs.I removed 4 of them and every thing settled down.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently added 2 new black skirt tetras to my tanks, so now there are 6 black skirt tetras in total. I thought that they would be more comfortable in a bigger group but aughhhhh, they absolutely do not get along anymore after the addition of the new fish and won't school, instead constantly nipping and chasing each other. They're stressing out my gourami because when they chase each other, they get into his territory. I have a 50 gallon tank and besides the 6 tetras there is the blue gourami, 5 serpae, a pleco, and an angelfish. Is my tank overstocked, which is causing the issue??? What should I do?
I honestly would add 2 more blackskirts. They like schools of 6-8 and maybe that one will settle down. How long has it been? Sometimes it takes a couple weeks for everyone to settle in and get to know each other.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just want to mention this. If you'd had 6, and they fought. You removed them, and of course they would stop fighting, because they would have less fish to pick at, and fewer options.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have had this set of glo-fish tetras (which are genetically modified blackskirts) for over 6 months. Well actually only 3 of them for 6 months. 1 was super aggressive killed another fish in my tank. Basically fin-nipped it to death. (I was a bad fish mom before finding this forum). So I upped the school numbers to 5 total in February. The fighting stopped for the most part. One fish was definitely more aggressive and chased the others, but no further injuries.

I just added 4 black skirts, for a total of 9 in their school. (This week actually) There is some chasing and acting up, but honestly they are behaving themselves. Even much more so than when I had the two schools in two separate tanks. All of the bullying has almost completely went away. Now it looks like they are more playing with each other than actual fighting if that makes any sense.

That's why I suggest upping the number of fish.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
black skirts like tall plants to dart thru. you could up the blackskirts to a dozen total, then perhaps the bully fish's aggression will spread out and hopefully calm down.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had between 5 and 13 Blackskirts. A friend of mine from 2 to 4. They act a little different than some tetras. Mine don't school very tight 2/3rds of the time. Perhaps because nothing else in the tank threatens them at all. They chase each other frequently but no physical contact. I put some neons in briefly and they tormented them. IME blackkirts are OK community fish but only with the right species mix. Perhaps best if something else in the tank intimidates them somewhat. Then maybe they would school most of the time.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot of times what looks like chasing and fin nipping is really spawning.

Letsfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They attacked my abino cory`s from the minute I added them,it was a big mistake on my part because I should have remover the Black Skirts earlier because of their bad behavior,they were like reef sharks at feeding time.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A lot of times what looks like chasing and fin nipping is really spawning.
Ohhhhh I totally am expecting babies from the new group I just put in there. They are definitely doing the dance. There were 2 males and 2 females and I have 2 female glo-fish and 3 male glofish. And now that I know that glo-fish aren't sterile, I am surprised I haven't had babies up until now actually.

Edit: I should say I don't necessarily expect babies to survive. I am letting nature take its course that way. Not pulling them out of the tank or anything.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a opaline/three spot gourami like yours. We actually had 2, and they didn't mix well, so we rehomed them, and changed our tank completely after that!

Cindy Liu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I honestly would add 2 more blackskirts. They like schools of 6-8 and maybe that one will settle down. How long has it been? Sometimes it takes a couple weeks for everyone to settle in and get to know each other.
I've had them for around 4 days. Do you think I should just give them more time to settle in? The reason I'm showing concern so early is that I also added 2 new serpae into the tank and they integrated into the school perfectly with no nipping or chasing while the black skirts have had much more difficulty.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They attacked my abino cory`s from the minute I added them,it was a big mistake on my part because I should have remover the Black Skirts earlier because of their bad behavior,they were like reef sharks at feeding time.
I've had them for around 4 days. Do you think I should just give them more time to settle in? The reason I'm showing concern so early is that I also added 2 new serpae into the tank and they integrated into the school perfectly with no nipping or chasing while the black skirts have had much more difficulty.
It's hard to know. If they weren't so impossible to catch you could remove the individual jerks for a a day or two to mellow out. I have ten cory's in the tank and they don't give them a second look. Not even once.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom