Black Skirt Tetra Tank-mates

malety31

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, right now I have a 20L with 6 BST and I would like to add some more fish. What community fish can I add? Thanks!

OP
malety31

malety31

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could I add another school of fish to the tank such as harlequin rasboras and if so how many could I add as to not overstock the tank?

OP
malety31

malety31

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ghostdawg said:
I have 6 BST, 5 Ember Tetras, will be adding more & 4 Zebra Danios with my 20g long.
Do you notice notice your Black Skirts getting all the food, I worry that if I add a group of smaller fish they won’t be able to get enough food since my Black skirts are very agressive eaters.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
malety31 said:
Could I add another school of fish to the tank such as harlequin rasboras and if so how many could I add as to not overstock the tank?
I would increase the number of BST instead of adding another school. More is always better.
I would worry about the rasboras not getting enough food if you added them.
20 longs aren't that big and you really shouldn't put more than one school of fish in it.

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
malety31 said:
Do you notice notice your Black Skirts getting all the food, I worry that if I add a group of smaller fish they won’t be able to get enough food since my Black skirts are very agressive eaters.
I started last year with a 10g tank and had 3 BST & 6 zebra danios. The ZD stand their ground when it comes to eating. I added the 6 Embers this past March and so far they are eating their share. I just got the 20g long setup in June. I added three more BST this week also. I just spread the food throughout the length of the tank. So far so good!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 5 long finned black skirts (I started with 6 but lost one a few months ago), 12 blood fin tetras and 14 neon tetras along with bn plecos and corys in my 55 gallon tank. The blood fins stay up top, the black skirts stay mid tank and the neon stay closer to the bottom. When I feed I make sure the food sinks enough for everyone to get their share. The corys clean up any that makes it all the way to the bottom. My Black Skirts's are about 5 years old now and have chilled out over time.

I wouldn't have a problem adding another small school of fish to a 20 gallon tank. Keep in mind though, the more fish you add the more water you will need to change each week. I just recently added the blood fins. Had I known about them sooner I would have had them sooner. I really like the activity level of these little guys. I like my neons but they are not very active. The only time they get active is during feeding time.

OP
malety31

malety31

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could a dwarf gourami work with these fish? I have heard that black skirts can be nippy, could this be problematic?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
malety31 said:
Could a dwarf gourami work with these fish? I have heard that black skirts can be nippy, could this be problematic?
From what I've seen here from other people aggression from the dwarf gourami would be more likely. I believe most of the reports of black skirts being nippy is a result of them being kept in too small groups.

New Threads