Black Skirt/glofish Tetras

Tpane27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ive has six tetras together for a good while now and for whatever reason I never thought the one tetra to be different. I have 5 glofish and the one I just realized is a different species is the black skirt tetra. I just now started reading about them online and they can be semi aggressive and a good chance they won’t school with different tetras. I guess I never realized because he/she has always schooled with the glofish. There are times the black skirt will go off on its own for awhile but it will stay with the group a good chunk of the time. Anyone have experience? I just thought it was pretty cool that mine isn’t aggressive seeming and does school. The black skirt is a decent size but the glofish are also pretty big. Every now and then the black skirt may “speed” at the other tetras but it stops instantly and sits with them.

Tpane27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Both are the same species, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, I believe. They will school together.
I’ve read in other forums/info online they are slightly different. The glofish are white skirt tetras so they aren’t exactly the same species. Both tetras but different parts of the tetra family. Either way they get along fine. I’ve noticed my black skirt may sit in a spot for a little and speed towards the others if they come to its “spot” but that doesn’t last long bc they eventually all end up swimming together and break off.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Glo Tetra was derived from the Black Skirt so technically they are the same species.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are color varieties of the same species. White Skirts are a natural mutation that was bred for the hobby, then they took that strain and put jellyfish genes in them to make them glow. But all are still the same species, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi.

That's why you come to Fishlore, to get the accurate information!

Tpane27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are color varieties of the same species. White Skirts are a natural mutation that was bred for the hobby, then they took that strain and put jellyfish genes in them to make them glow. But all are still the same species, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi.

That's why you come to Fishlore, to get the accurate information!
Fishlore is definitely my favorite. That’s why I made an account here instead

Tpane27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I was going to say, white skirt tetras are black skirts lol.
What makes the black skirts semi aggressive and the white skirts not? All I’ve read is the black skirts tend to be nippers more

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What makes the black skirts semi aggressive and the white skirts not? All I’ve read is the black skirts tend to be nippers more
White or leucistic morphs tend to be the objects of aggression because they stand out. They are usually more timid. In the wild, they rarely survive predation.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 66.7%

Top Bottom