black shark

marty

Reaction score
my black shark (new addition to 50 gallon home) is hiding in the caves of my Roman collasium (half) and comes out "in the shadows" creeping about like...well we named him CrazyJoe (from seinfeld joe devola)...well i dont know if it is a personality thing or a species thing or if maybe he needs some company by getting another?

any insight from a vetran out there?

CG <><

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I do not have any sharks in my tanks, but I do know that you have 3 aggressive fish in that tank that are territorial and it may be that he is lowest on the pecking order and is being bullied and if this is the case adding another aggressive fish that is just as territorial is not going to help. If you only have a couple of plants, you may not have enough protection and hiding places for that many "aggressives" in this tank. It may be that you have enough room for all of them but need more places that they can get away from each other.

Perhaps there will be others who will chime in here, but this seemed to be the most logical answer to me.

Rose

Puppypower

Reaction score
G'day Mate

I had the same problem when we got snoopy : lol, well, he came out when he got more comfortable with is surroundings, & more familiar & that kind of thing. They are a nocturnal fish & unless you have a really small & passive one, & your other fish are pretty big, I doubt he's at the bottom of the pecking chain.

If he's a normal Blackie, one day you will probably find a few less fish, & so on, until there isn't much left. If you have an aggressive one, nothing will stand up to it & have a chance of survival except a big american cichlid. So, can i suggest putting 1-2 small oscars in there, that way he will grow up with them & they are hardy enough not to be killed when/if he goes on a killing spree.

I must say though, congrats on your purchase, i have never had a fish yet anywhere near as beautiful as a Black Shark.

So in answer, just wait & see, don't get to attached to him incase he goes phsyco (which isn't until they're teenager's-adults, usually), because he will kill all your fish, except for americans (or so i've heard) .

I'm not a full expert, just saharing my experiences, so don't take my word as fact

Good Luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom