Black Sand Substrates Cannot Be Cleaned ?!

1. Goldfishgirlgirl

Goldfishgirlgirl Well Known Member Member

im in the process of setting up my new 75gal tank . I bought 3 bags of 'premium' black sand substrates and I tired to rinse it before I place it in the tank ... but it's like the 10th time of rinsing and the water is still very dirty and black/grey ?! Is it normal at all ?? I don't want to poison my future fish !!

Attached Files:

2. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

You're much better off getting Black Diamond Blasting Sand in my opinion. It's very soft, super cheap (don't know what you paid for this stuff), and pretty easy to wash. The only reason I could think of it giving you problems is if you're trying to grow high maintenance plants.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It shouldn't poison your fish. Just put it in the tank and it will settle.

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Just keep rinsing. I go on length of time versus actual repeated rinses. I found that it takes at least 30-40 minutes for that sand.

I would let it sit for about 15 minutes. See if it settles. Is it superfine sand? Or is it more of a medium grit? The super fine sand will cloud up very easily.

5. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

What brand is it? I have National Geographic Aquarium Sand from petsmart. I rinsed it. When i put it in the tank the water was black and there were little clumps of sand floating. I swished it with my hand and the floating clumps fell to the bottom. A little over an hour later the water was clear again. The filter was off when i put it in but i turned it back on after i knocked the floating pieces down.

6. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I have the same brand as you. I used a garden hose to agitate it well and it took about half an hour. I put in in the tank, let it settle about 2 hours then turned on my filter. I also stuck a sponge filter on my intake the first couple of weeks just to protect my motor. It was pretty clear within a day or so and very clear within a few days.

7. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

Goldfishgirlgirl Well Known Member Member

Thank you everyone ! The sand did settle and now it's much clearer than first day lol but still not perfect clear