Black Sand Substrate

?

What do you prefer for rocks and substrate?

1. Orthodox: Market tested safe products.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Unorthodox: DIY, locally sourced, lets experiment!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Artificial: plastic rocks, decor and stuff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

Hi all. Thanks for reading in advance. Appreciate your time and looking forward to any suggestions, advice, tip, hint, links, reference etc.

10G, cycled>Sponge filter, pothos plant, ammonia nitrite nitrate 0, temp depends on room temp which is 22-26 C. pH? gH?

I recently rescaped (sourced locally and DIY project) my 10G tank. Its current residents are one betta, and four neon tetras. (Four more neon tetras and java moss are in QT and will be added by end of june. Also a dozen RCS are on their way in last week of june along with catappa leaves, drift wood, java fern, amazon sword, water lily and anything else if its available at that time and suitable to grow in my sand tank)

The scape (see image) consists of indian black limestone (rocks/slates) and substrate is of crushed gravel topped with black river sand. Everything here is black and natural, washed properly to take care of any external parasites.
    Since i read about vinegar test after using all, i now wonder how much my pH will be raised and how will it affect my residents (since all prefer acidic environment except the shrimps).
    I will be buying a pH test kit by end of june to determine that. All other parameters are fine and even the pothos is doing great. Fish are healthy and acting natural (except for one neon tetra who has some kind of liaison on his tail part since march and no one seemed to know what it was).

The question is how much pH can the stone and sand in my tank raise?
    I know its hard to answer without knowing anything, but an approx min~max number will be also helpfull.

Attached Files:

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

You like living dangerously, putting a Betta in with other fish. Hopefully, he'll stay peaceful and not randomly go postal like others that have been written up here. The black stone, gravel, and sand are lovely. I take it the water in your area is soft and acidic? You'll just have to keep testing daily to see if the substrate starts raising your pH. If it does, then be careful when you do water changes as the soft water will make your parameters bounce around and could shock your fish. In that case, smaller daily water changes of 10% may work better for you.

3. OP
    OP
    Rohit mess

Yes the regular tap water is acidic. It varies between 6.5 to 7. There is other tap water for underground water which is highly alkaline so i never use it.

Betta is cool. I kind of fear for one of the male tetras as he had attempted to come up too close to betta to nip (but then betta just turns around commanding 'who goes there' and tetra skits away)

I will do the daily small wc untill i get the test kits.
    Thanks for the help endler collector. :)

4. OP
    OP
    Rohit mess

Yipiee just got pH test paper strips.
    The river sand and limestones did not have a major impact on the tank water quality.
    Current pH is 7~7.5ish. Was asking every person who was present and all said it was 7. I still feel it may be 7.5 ish. Still glad.
    Phew! i was worried it would go beyond 8!
    Will try to get the ada liquid test kit if i still have some bucks to spare.

Important: i need new glasses or need to get my eyes checked.