Black Sand Settling

jennaaaj

Member
Hello!
So we just got this new 20g tank and added black sand. Our plan was to let the tank acclimate over night and heat up and all the fun stuff before transferring our current fish from the 10g. The water is currently a cloudy black from the sand having to settle, but our question was is it okay to run the filter and everything overnight and add the fish in approximately 12 hours?
 

Attachments

Charlie’s Dad

Member
I would use your net to catch any thing obvious in the water column and keep your intake 2 1/2 to 3 inches from the bottom.

I would also suggest using some polyester fill in your filter to help catch fine particles and help clear your water up quicker.;)
 

d23perry

Member
It has been my practice to give black sand, or any sand, 3 good rinses in a bucket, add to tank, fill tank with water, drain water from tank (as first fill is always a bit cloudy), and refill with water. Generally the 2nd refill is clear enough. If not, I may do a third refill.

If I am transferring some water from cycled tank, I will complete the process above until I get clear water, and then drain and transfer the cycled water.

Above process is takes a bit of a while, especially if you do not have a python or similar system; but it pays off very quickly. I also use to hoses to speed up the draining process.
 

Darwinthebloodparrot

Member
I don’t want to be that guy but...

adding the cycled water will barely do anything all your doing is transferring any old fish poop and things like that because beneficial bacteria barely lives in the actual water like 95% of it lives on decorations plants filter media etc...
 

GlennO

Member
Definitely start the filter up and it will soon clear. Then it will begin to go cloudy again in a day or two as the bacteria bloom signals the start of the cycling process which will take 6-8 weeks. You can't add your current fish until the cycle has finished, unless you intend to undertake a fish-in cycle, which I wouldn't recommend, or you intend to move your existing filter(s) over to the new tank. In that case I'd still watch out for a possible mini cycle.

You've indicated that you know about the nitrogen cycle so I'm assuming the above makes sense. Please let us know if not.
 

ForceTen

Member
Rinsing sand until the water runs clear is how its done. How many times did you rinse the sand before adding it to the tank?
You can add fish at most any time with a little help. Seachem Stability allows for introduction of fish right away.
You have a choice. Wait several weeks or wait until tomorrow? Its your call.
 

d23perry

Member
Darwinthebloodparrot said:
I don’t want to be that guy but...

adding the cycled water will barely do anything all your doing is transferring any old fish poop and things like that because beneficial bacteria barely lives in the actual water like 95% of it lives on decorations plants filter media etc...
I do agree that transferring cycled water will not help in cycling a new tank. Perhaps I should not have highlighted “cycled” water. I would never add 100% water from an old tank to a new tank.

The only benefit of a partial water transfer, IMO, is to assist fish with acclimating to a new tank.

I have completed many fish tank transfers by using water from existing tanks similar to a 50% water change. To date, I haven’t lost any fish after establishing a new tank for them.

I am sure everyone has a different method for handling this. In the end, we all do what’s works for us.
 

jkkgron2

Member
ForceTen said:
Rinsing sand until the water runs clear is how its done. How many times did you rinse the sand before adding it to the tank?
You can add fish at most any time with a little help. Seachem Stability allows for introduction of fish right away.
You have a choice. Wait several weeks or wait until tomorrow? Its your call.
Depends if they transfer used filter media. They’ll still have to do waterchanges 3-4 times a week for 3 weeks or so if they don’t, even with stability.
 

ForceTen

Member
jkkgron2 said:
Depends if they transfer used filter media. They’ll still have to do waterchanges 3-4 times a week for 3 weeks or so if they don’t, even with stability.
I disagree.
3-4 water changes a week is great. But its not required. Not required at all.
 

jkkgron2

Member
ForceTen said:
I disagree.
3-4 water changes a week is great. But its not required. Not required at all.
When it’s cycling it is. Otherwise you’re going to have ammonia issues and the ammonia can get High enough that it’s dangerous or even deadly to the fish.
 
Top Bottom