Black Sand Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by cjdave, Apr 8, 2017.

1. cjdave

cjdave Valued Member Member

Hi I just p/u a 55gl tank. I wanted to put black blasting sand in. I have play sand in a couple other tanks but i've been looking foward to the black. But my dilemma is the tank I p/u had a black painted background. Anybody have a opinion on how this would look? Thanks. David

2. NWooley

NWooley New Member Member

Looked awesome in my community tank before I changed it around. I will check my computer for a picture of it when I get a chance tonight.

image.php?dt=OMOY.jpg

Not a great picture... it was an early picture of my original 29 gallon that I setup.

I have more of a salt and pepper look to the sand now and no background until I get my new stand next month.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    cjdave

Very nice looking tank. Thanks

4. NWooley

Yea it really allows the green from the plants to pop as well as any brightly colored fish.

5. OP
    OP
    cjdave

I wonder what black sand would look like with that black background? i kinda think it would. Well maybe. What do you think?

6. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Do you have a pic of the tank with the salt and pepper substrate that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm considering trying a black and light sand mix in my tank.

7. NWooley

Jus a moment uploaded wrong pic again.

Attached Files:

8. B

I personally lean towards a lighter look, but I think the black sand and black background could have a really striking, dramatic look. The fish would really stand out and be the feature. What fish do you plan to have? Will it be a planted tank? I think my brother has black sand and a black background in his cichlid tank. I'll ask him to send me a pic and I can post it for you.

9. NWooley

My phone does not want to take clear pictures. It looks much better in person. There is no background right now on the tank.

Attached Files:

10. B

Nice! Thanks for sharing! Do you like it mixed like that? Any pros/cons I should know?

11. NWooley

I like the look but you can not go back without changing it all. Other than looks there is no pro or con since it's all inert and does not change any parameters of the water.

12. B

image.jpeg Here is my brother's tank:

13. OP
    OP
    cjdave

Sounds great, I would appreciate it. Yes it's going to be planted tank. Angeles and maybe a large school of some type of tetras of something. Any ideas? Thanks

14. OP
    OP
    cjdave

Nwooley. Your tank looks great. But I think I'm going to have to go with ejfresh. I really like the black on black. Thanks all for the fast great responses.

15. B

image.jpeg Have you ever had Harlequin rasboras? I really enjoy mine. They school together beautifully and are very peaceful. I love the black marking and they have a very pretty sheen to them.

I also love my cories. The ones I have are melanistius cories (I'm including a pic), but there are so many different kinds that seem great.

16. OP
    OP
    cjdave

The rasboras I have seen in petsmart thay look great. I currently have a school of albino Corys in my 29gl now thay are owesome. I have current stocking issues in my 29gl. I'm trying not to do that again. I want 1 Angel, at least 12 albino Corys. I like the rasboras. How big of school can I go with the 55gl. Any other compatible fish? and about how many in schools and how my different schools can I have? And maybe a total # ? Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to make a mistake again.

17. B

I think 12 albino cories would be great, and they would really stand out against the black sand. The tank is 55 gallons, right? With one angelfish and 12 cories, you could easily do one large school of small fish, like the harlequins (maybe 15 or even 20 of them). I think tanks that feature one large school can look so amazing! Or you could do two schools (such as 8 harlequins and 8 tetras). I actually think I'm probably being a little conservative, but I don't consider myself a stocking expert. A member here that is very knowledgeable and helpful with stocking is @TexasDomer.

There are so many different options for beautiful schooling fish. Barbs are another option that look great. I know certain barbs can be a little nippy or slightly aggressive, but keeping them in adequate numbers helps.

18. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about something like this?

12x Albino cories (C. aeneus)
    1x Angelfish
    10x Cherry barb
    10x Gold tetra
    2x Apistogramma cacatuoides

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice