Black Ruby Barbs Pale?

Buddahsaur

Hey this my first post in this forum and first forum ever so I have a 55 gal with 4 black ruby barbs, 4 neons tetras, 5 cherry barbs, 3 rosey barbs, about 6 albino copycats, 2 ottos, 1 Siamese algae eater, sunset gourami(very lonley but can't seem to find another after months). I remember couple months ago I had like 7 black ruby barbs they were colorful now I'm down to 4 and their color is basically faded for a while now can I get help plesse and tank You.

(also 3 of my albino corys have their top fin nipped is it be because of the black ruby barbs want friends :/) also why are my neons going missing could it be the barbs picking on them:/?

Buddahsaur

Also I have fake plants & playsand as the set up as of right now, but I'm thinking of re doing the whole tank to sand and spider wood, and some real plants.

Jocelyn Adelman

Welcome to the forum!

Most of the fish you have prefer schools of six or more...

What are your current water parameters?

Buddahsaur

Thanks for the reply c: and I'm going have to check ill let you know once I find out

Buddahsaur

Jocelyn Adelman so I checked my water it says on ph 6.0, kh 40, NO2 is 0 or 0.5 & NO3 is 200 please let me know if something's wrong please and what I can do to help them if something's wrong

Jocelyn Adelman

So... two things

1) kH of 40ppm puts you at about two to three degrees... too low to properly buffer your ph. Basically your ph is completely unstable... where are a few ways to correct this, but first...
Are you using tap water? What are the tap parameters?

2) nitrates are way too high.... you sure it's 200?

Guessing you are using strips?
A few ways to correct this, but honestly it's a bad situation... nitrates are reduced with water changes, but depending on the difference between tap/tank or source water and tank too big of a change can cause further ph shock... how often and how much at a time do you do water changes? When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

*****I need to know the values of the water you are using to fill the tank.

Likely course of action
Get seachem alkaline buffer... slowly (every 4/6hrs) add dose for a ten gallon tank (1/2 teaspoon), up til you hit six doses...
once the ph and kH are stabilized, it's time to start doing water changes... I would do 4 25% water changes the first day (at least two hours in between, not back to back). Second day do two 50% changes (also not back to back). Third day I would do two back to back 50% changes to really get those nitrates down.
All new water needs to be treated with the alkaline buffer... so for 15 gal changes the first day you will be dosing 3/4 tsp alkaline buffer with each water change, with the 50% changes you will be dosing 1.5 teaspoons.

There are other ways to maintain your kH at a higher level, but for the situation you are currently ine the alkaline buffer will be the easiest and most reliable...
you needed to get that kH up, buffer that ph, and start doing water changes not tomorrow but a few days ago....

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • CaptainSupport
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
TheFishmonger
Replies
Views
Wobbegong
  • Dexter84
  • Barbs