Black Ruby Barb Experiences?

• Thread starter CaptainSupport
  • Start date

CaptainSupport

Hey all,

I was curious if anyone has positive experiences keeping black ruby barbs or other barbs in a peaceful community tank? I am considering adding some to my 75G with silver dollars, pearl gouramis, cories, and a rainbow shark. I have kept a school of tiger barbs previously and they brutalized everyone else in my tank and I had to donate the tigers away. I have heard other barbs are less aggressive with the fin-nipping, but can anyone confirm with these fellas?
Thanks!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Most barbs are fin nippers, that being said in schools of 8+ that behavior is diluted. And they tend to nip the fins of longer finned fish. And the only thing I can see is the modified pelvic fins (Feelers) on the gourami.

A201

Fishlore VIP
I've got a couple of Black Ruby Barbs in a 65 gal. Barb grow out tank. Tankmates include Tigers, Filament, Tinfoil Barbs & YoYo Loaches.
No noticeable aggression problems with any of the Barbs.
The Black Rubies look to be a little more docile than the Tigers.
IMO, no problems including them in your community. Look at the Dawkinsia Filamentosa barbs before going for the Rubies. They are awsome barbs.

CaptainSupport

Yes the feelers on my gouramis are my primary concern, they are pretty long so I worry about it. I have just enough space for 8 barbs, but I am still worried about the fin-nipping. I had a Electric Blue Acara and he nipped my silver dollars fins down completely. I am bit paranoid of it now.
Anything with traces of red/bright orange in the tail-fin of the fish is a no go, so the Dawkinsias I'm not sure of. Rainbow shark goes wild if anything with a red tail-fin walks in.

A201

Fishlore VIP
I understand your concerns regarding fin nipping. I'd take Filamentosas over the Rubies any day. A much more flashy fish. Given enough room, the Filament Barbs should be able to out swim any fish in your tank.
They are a Riverine species & are constantly on the move.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
The males can be a bit boisterous but I'd say they are great.

CaptainSupport

I'll add the Filamentosas to the list of fun fish to get, but the male's red fins won't work with the shark. Otherwise they would be great. I wish the shark wasn't so limiting. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Pfrozen

Well Known

CaptainSupport

I have no idea what my rainbow thinks of a completely red fish. I'll show him a picture of a cherry barb and see what he thinks.

Top Bottom