Black Ruby and Odessa Barbs living on bottom of tank?

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My Black Ruby Barbs have been in my tank for almost 2 months now, and my Odessa Barbs have been in my tank for about a month now. I chose these to go with my Corys, as the barbs are supposed to be mid/upper level swimmers, and the corys would occupy the bottom of the tank. All of my barbs seem to dwell mostly on the bottom of the tank. They swim around on the bottom 3rd of the tank with the corys. It seems like they are CONSTANTLY searching for food. I feed them once a day. I have 23 fish total in the tank between the barbs, corys, and pleco. Typically, I feed them a good-sized pinch of flake food, 12-16 shrimp pellets, and 2 floating wafers per day. I soak all of the food in garlic guard, and they attack it each day like they've never eaten before. The barbs also eat the sinking wafers after polishing off the shrimp pellets and flakes. I even started dropping some dry flakes into the top of the tank, to see if they would start hanging near the top...no dice. They come straight up to eat, then go right back to the bottom.

They are all very active, just on the bottom of the tank. It seems as though once I feed them, that they spend the rest of the day roaming the bottom of the tank looking for food. Am I feeding them enough? I would think so, as they are growing rather nicely. Should I alter the feeding schedule...maybe a little less but twice a day? Or should I just not worry about it, and let them be?

Of my 6 Odessa Barbs, 4 have colored up very nicely with a thick, bright, red stripe. The other 2 have gone from a bright silver to a bronze/light-copper color. Of my 6 Black Ruby Barbs, all have developed red noses. Two of them are turning black through the body, and the rest are black/bronze striped. I don't think they are stressed at all, it just seems like they are always looking to eat. I drop an algae wafer into the tank about once every other day, but I started doing that when I go to bed so the tank will be dark. Otherwise, the barbs go after that too, and will chase the pleco away.

Also, I stopped into my LFS where I bought them, and they still have some BRB's in the tank...from the same stock that I bought mine from. Mine are almost twice the size as theirs...am I overfeeding?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Let them be. My gold barbs were all over the tank, but mainly in the bottom half, and the cherries I had were the same way. My barbs all eat like pirahana, I think that's just a barb trait.

-Lisa

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kunsthure said:
Let them be. My gold barbs were all over the tank, but mainly in the bottom half, and the cherries I had were the same way. My barbs all eat like pirahana, I think that's just a barb trait.

-Lisa
Thanks Lisa, that's good to know. I wouldn't have loaded up on the Corys if I had known the Barbs would all be on the bottom too...although the Barbs don't seem to mind.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads