Black Rose Shrimp Fry In Betta Tank-help!

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Fishstery, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ive just been through **** transferring my 10 gallon to a new 12 gallon long dealing with a small cycle and losing some of my fish so I've been preoccupied with this tank and not doing much other then matience with my two 5 gal betta tanks. i was turning the lights off of one of the betta tanks and saw it....a black rose shrimp fry!!! I bought 7 of these online two months or so ago and 2 weeks ago I noticed one of my females was berried. The tank was due for a water change and I debated whether or not I should so I did a small one. She disappeared and when in saw her again i thought she dropped all of her eggs. I had bought a prefilter sponge, and a marina breeder box because I wanted to get the female in before the eggs hatched so my betta couldn't eat them. Needless to say I guess she had them. I rushed to put the prefilter on which resulted in tons of gunk from the filter dusting the whole tank and digging through the filter housing to rescue two fry stuck in there.. but it was a shrimp feeding frenzy so I'm gunna keep it like that and check the water params in a few hours. Anyways, this is my first batch of shrimplets and since I've kept cherries, blues, and now black Rose's I've never been able to get them to breed. My question is how many adult shrimp can live in my 5 gal? When the fry that survive get big enough can I put them into the breeder for a few weeks until they are big enough? It's a .5 gallon with the pump that recycles the tank water. My plan is to keep doing this and sell some and stock my 12 long with some. I dont mind my betta doing population control...I dont want to be a full breeder and have a shrimp-dedicated tank I think it intrigues his natural hunting instincts too. I just dont want a full blown explosion in a little 5 gallon any advice is appreciated!

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    One of my shrimp only tanks is 8gallon yesterday I took 4 dozen out for my lfs, feeding time last night I stopped counting at 200 So iam guessing there must have been around 500 in this tank, it's been running about 4 years and and is one of my best breeding tanks, the bio load is so low I never have any issues, i wouldn't worry about a breeder box just leave them things will even out your Betta may eat a few but not all, plus handling fry that young will cause more deaths than the betta as those shrimp are so fragile, I never touch any shrimp until they are about 9 weeks or about 4mm just a short edit
    It wount take long for your colony to build even with the betta

3. OP
    OP
    Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you for your response! What about water changes with the shrimplets? The filter gunk settled all over the plants and everything so I'd like to brush it off with a tooth brush and siphon some of it out either just the water column or I'll vacuum with some pantyhose tied around the end so I dont suck up any fry. But is it okay to do a 30 or 50% WC with the babies? They're still pretty small and starting to turn smokey but still translucent

4. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'd try for 25% that's what I stick to once a week the chances of brushing it off may only cause more of a mess your better off with a syphon and may Be fish net rather than pantyhose as you want to remove the gunk don't worry if you do suck some shrimplets into the bucket use a torch and you'll see them, it happens to me all the time i just suck them back into the tube and put them back in the tank no worse for ware, if iam doing a sweep of the substrate I keep one finger over the exit part of the tube move the shrimp with the intakepart then syphon that area and move on slowly but I leave the tube open as I believe if you get shrimp stuck to the pantyhose you could damage them with the force of water, which ever way you decide just be careful and have a good look in the bucket.
    Try and post a pic of your tank that can sometimes give a better picture of what your playing with and responses

5. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you have to airline tubing makes for a thin siphon that can be directed fairly easily.

6. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That's a good point @Mcasella That way you'll cover more ground

7. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    This is what I use note the wood and wire to stiffen the syphon tube making it more controllable

Attached Files: