Black Racer Nerite Help!

MangoPineapple

I currently own 2 black racer nerite snails (in separate tanks) one of them flipped over two days ago I think, he was flipped over for 2-4 hours or more and now he's not moving. It looks like his trap door is closed, his foot is inside and he doesn't smell? He smells like my tank but worse, it's always smelled very strongly of cucumbers so he smells like cucumbers but it's not an unpleasant smell? I might be desensitized to smells but he doesn't smell bad, just like cucumbers. I panicked after today and did a whole bunch of research, I think he's starving because it is an established tank (about 3 months) but it's currently housing an ivory mystery temporarily and a ghost shrimp so I'm thinking they're eating all the algae. I currently have him floating in a cup with some biofilm from a planted jar that is growing it like crazy. How long should I wait to see if that works? Is he dead? He was just fine a few days ago until he flipped over, then he started acting like this. Not moving, not extending his foot or eating. I don't think it's bullying because the only fish in there are guppies, the other snail and shrimp leave him alone so I just think he's starving. And he had been sleeping just two days before and then was active so I don't think he's sleeping either, I'm just really concerned about what I should do to help him.

Also I need to grow some algae for him, could I do that in some small mason jars with small rocks in them? Submerged in old tank water, sat in the sun? If so, how long will it take to grow the algae? I have lots of biofilm I can feed him in the meantime, just want to know so I can stagger the algae growth appropriately.

BigManAquatics

Yes, you can do that to grow algae, don't know how long it takes though. The smell you would be looking for is very unmistakable, it won't smell like cucumbers. Snails tend to do what they want, when they want, he may just be conserving energy til there is more food.

MangoPineapple

Yes, you can do that to grow algae, don't know how long it takes though. The smell you would be looking for is very unmistakable, it won't smell like cucumbers. Snails tend to do what they want, when they want, he may just be conserving energy til there is more food.
Ok thank you very much, I am just very concerned for him right now. I'll give him a few more days and see what happens

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Laura306
  • Question
Replies
Views
Salem
Replies