Black phantoms constantly hiding

Drummerman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys,

have a 125 juwel rio stocked with 5 penta barbs, 6 black phantoms (1 male 5 females), 5 pearl danios, 3 sterbi corys, 1 clown plec.

all the fish are happy and healthy with the exception of the tetras. They stay motionless at the back of the tank, there is a touch of movement when the light is off but not lots. They appear to have no obvious illness or show any signs of bullying, they simply stay behind a piece of bogwood at the back while all the other fish swim freely. tank has plenty of plants and wood so at a loss as to why they are so shy. Do they fear imiaginary preditors in the plants? does anyone have any suggestions to make them feel at ease?

the tank was properly cycled 3 months ago (phantoms were second group in about 2 months ago) and the amonia tests are a nice 0, nitrate/nitrite levels are fine too and the temp is 25

thanks

Dave

Zane

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are the nitrite and nitrate levels exactly? Some tetras are hardier than others. Even if you didn't get them recently, they might still be stressed from the move. Or they might just feel comfortable behind the bogwood

-Zane

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had black phantoms for a few days and they did the same thing. They were so boring that I returned the whole lot. I don't see much activity in the store either.

-Lisa

Drummerman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
water tests show 10-20 ppm and 0.1 from a variety of test kits. Fins always look in good condition and they eat small amounts that fall near their spot so at a loss really. Maybe they are the same strain of boring phantoms

Thanks

Dave

Zane

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try looking them up, they might have a calm or laid back nature. I wouldn't know for sure since I have never owned any black phantoms before.

-Zane

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had serpaes and black phantoms (they're very much alike in appearance) and, although they shoaled together, they didn't provide much activity and always stayed towards the back of the tank. I had more of an open area in the front and there were more hidey holes in the back. I think what you're seeing is simply their nature.

Drummerman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cheers guys,

I dont mind them hiding as long as they are happy and healthy, i knew they were fairly timid when i researched before buying them, probably didn't expect them to be this timid though! as ever danios make up for nervous fish.

Thanks
Dave

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you had other timid species, instead of the barbarians that danios are, you might see more of your b plantoms. They do tend to get enough to eat. Shyness doesn't keep them away from food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom