Black Orchid Male Betta? Question

1. KyleMarie

KyleMarie Valued Member Member

Hi guys! I was recently gifted two new Betta fish that were bought at petco. One of the Betta is labeled as a Black Orchid Male. I personally had never heard of this type of Betta, and so I’m really curious to find out if he really is a Black orchid. He isn’t a crown tail, but he is black with the most beautiful blue iridescence. I was hoping to get some of your opinions about what he is! Regardless, he is beautiful!!

IMG_7015.JPG
    IMG_7014.JPG
    IMG_7012.JPG
    IMG_6962.JPG
    IMG_6961.JPG
    IMG_6960.JPG IMG_6935.JPG
    IMG_6929.JPG

I tried to get pictures that really capture his markings. Let me know if you need a better shot.

I also was hoping someone could let me know why he lays up against the filter intake? I’ve only ever had females and they never rested on the filter. I’m wondering if maybe it’s a nice resting spot because it takes pressure off his fins? If that’s the case, is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable?

Thank you!!

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

So I always see they are usually crowntails but there are some halfmoon black orchid bettas out there. So possibly.
    Hey could be laying against the filter because its to strong or since his fins are so long its harder to swim then your short fin females. What tank and what filter? Try putting a sponge on the filter intake to slow it down on those long fins.

3. OP
    OP
    KyleMarie

KyleMarie Valued Member Member

I have the fluval spec v, and that does tend to be a little rough for them. If they go in front of the part where the water comes out they tend to have a hard time swimming. I usually have a sponge to go over the filter but it was gross and I threw it out. I’m waiting for a new one in the mail, it should be here tomorrow. But that would go over the little spout where the water comes out, not the intake. I don’t know if that necessarily matters.

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

I dont own any fluval products but the intake will try and suck him in and the outtake will blow him away. Try to put sponge everywhere I guess.