Black Orchid Male Betta Color Transformation

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by CheshireKat, Jul 13, 2019.

1. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When I first got him in early March (I think), he was black with mostly white and translucent fins.
    He had a gray-ish patch on his head.
    Then a few weeks later, I was watching him and suddenly thought he looked different. I looked him over carefully and realized he had a lot less white and a lot more black on his fins! The black had been creeping over the white so subtly, and since I see him everyday, I hadn't even noticed. Over the next few weeks, he lost even more white. The gray patch on his head disappeared. He's beautiful! I liked him before, but the spots and stripes are really cool. I do sometimes miss the white patterning though...
    You can see that it's kind of like his colors, both black and white, sort of pushed out into the previously clear and white finnage.
    He also developed black spots on his fins.
    On the flap of his dorsal fin, there are stripes. This is a bad photo, as he moved slightly out of focus right as I went to take the photo (as usual), but you can see the striping.
    I struggle to get good photos of him now because of lighting, reflections, his darkness, and his constant movement. I've yet to capture him in his full glory and don't have good photos. Out of the 361 photos I have of him, only maybe 2% are semi-decent. (Those are seed shrimp on the glass.)

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +833
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    This is what happened to my girlfriend's black orchid lol 20190711_113241.

3. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That looks like an actual black orchid betta, at least. :emoji_sweat_smile: He's beautiful! When I bought mine, I thought, "This doesn't look like the black orchids I've seen online," but I liked him anyway. I wonder if mine will turn all black or if the white edging will remain. Only time will tell.
    I kind of wonder if he's a black orchid at all. Maybe it's just my lighting, but he doesn't seem to have the blue iridescent sheen (such as the betta in your photo) that really makes a black orchid (from my research, anyway). When I kept bettas over 10 years ago all while I was growing up, there weren't all these color, pattern, and fin variations available. Just your standard royal blue crowntails and red crowntails with maybe a little variation, but nothing like what I'm seeing so freely available on the market today. It's been so hard for me to resist "collecting" them all!

4. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +833
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well, ours looked a lot like yours when we first got him. Assuming he was 6 months old in the pet store he is probably around 9-10 months old now.

5. sunnycal

sunnycalWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You have a beautiful betta. Love the dark colors

6. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thank you. I still haven't named my bettas cuz I'm lazy, but when I talk to him, I tend to call him "sir" and "handsome." Sometimes "dude."

7. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +423
    Do your black orchards have trouble swimming?

8. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't have any black orchards, but I do have a black orchid betta :p
    Nope, he has no problem swimming at all. Why?

9. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +423
    autocorrect
    Mine folds himself in half and cant swim, ive been going back and.forth on if its finnage or genetics
    I though and treated swim bladder many times

So i thought i would ask