Black Or White, That’s The Question, Sand Suggestions Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by kasra, May 26, 2019.

1. kasra Valued Member Member

Hi all

I went ahead and change my natural looking gravel to black sand and I’m so happy with that
    So I’m thinking if i go for my second tank that has black gravel ( bad choice) too

So if i change it ti sand it would be good for my corydoras

I have neon tetras
    Black skirt tetras
    Corydoras

So the question is if i want to switch
    Do you suggest to go for black or white sand as my corydoras are dark and now they’re not showing well and i have a black theme tank
    Which do you think works better for me
    I know that black sand is easier to hide the dirtiness
    So help me with your suggestions please
    This is how it looks now
    I may add Hornwort from my other tan to it
    IMG_4059.JPG

As my other question
    If i go ahead and add the third tank for my multi tank syndrome cure
    5g rimless for a beta
    What color do you suggest for that as bettas are usually dark

Thank you

2. Crispii Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I would do white sand as it looks a little more natural imo.

3. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

The color of you substrate can also alter the color of your bottom dwellers for them to adapt to their enviornments.

4. kasra Valued Member Member

Is it better for them to be in this color as you mean?

My other tank has black sand with albino corydoras and they seem to be happy and they’re shining for me now

5. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

No i just meant i think they will just sort of blend into their enviornment a little more.

6. kasra Valued Member Member

aquar.jpg

I’m still thinking if i do the change
    For the maintenance

7. Crispii Well Known Member Member

Looks great!

8. kasra Valued Member Member

Thanks so you’re agree to go for white sand and buy the hassle of keeping it clean

9. Crispii Well Known Member Member

I prefer white over black sand, but it's ultimately your choice. Go for the one that you like.

10. SnailsGalore Valued Member Member

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

An enormous amount of fish like dark substrate, cause it looks more like their natural habitat.

Several fish (tetras for instance) have a dark back to camouflage them from above (against predators).

12. GlennO New Member Member

Over the years I've gone back and forth between white sand and black sand. I think white sand makes my tanks stand out more. They look brighter and seem more natural and always get compliments. On the other hand, the majority of the fish that I have kept (with a couple of exceptions) show better colour when over black sand.

13. kasra Valued Member Member

Not a mistake just after i set that up I thought about sand thats less sharp and better for my corydoras

14. kasra Valued Member Member

Yeah i just can’t decide yet
    When lights are not on it’s impossible to see corydoras
    I touched one accidentally when water changing with vacuum because they are same as black gravel and have a feeling they’re happier with finer sand
    My other tank has black sand and albino corydoras are so happy and i an see them so nice
    And was thinking to have 2 different look setups
    However with hornwort i guess it would be harder to keep it clean though

15. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

I personally like pool filter sand due to the fact it looks the most natural IMO ( light tannish color) it’s the easiest to clean when first putting it in your tank.. ( I honestly don’t even rinse when I add a little using a spring water bottle full of it ) and when doing a substrate vacuum it seems to be the heaviest where none really gets pulled into the water change tube. Just my opinion

16. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

Actually most fish, freshwater and marine, are darker from above than from below, to blend in with the substrate (which in freshwater is usually sand-coloured or darker, white sand is relatively rare), and to blend in from below against the sky.

I don’t like white sand because it doesn’t look natural (to me). I prefer sand-coloured sand. I think it gives you truer fish colours. They’re not abnormally dark trying to blend in more on a very dark substrate, and they’re not pale from trying to blend with a very light substrate.

17. Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I like the look of black plus, having live plants you don't want to vacuum the gravel as much as if you have artificial decorations. That means poop settles down into the sand/gravel and you can see it. I have a brown/red sand and you can definitely see the poop line. It's so disgusting.

18. Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

If you want it truly natural, find what the particular fish is that you're getting and see what it is from their habitat. I have an Amazon red/brown. I've never seen a stream with white, sandy bottoms. Or black for that matter. Neither of those environments really seem to exist anywhere other than an ocean.

19. kasra Valued Member Member

Yeah and by that I really mean the natural beach sand color not bright white