Black Mystery Snail Chewing Through Plants?!?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys,
I recently bought a black mystery snail and some plants for my tank, but this morning I found a few stems on a couple of my plants chewed through and floating the top of the tank. My snail was on one of the plants' stem. Could he be the chewing culprit?

MrsPancakes

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mystery snails will eat live plants when starving. They need to be fed like any other animal in the tank. They literally can starve to death in a planted tank because people think they eat algae and are good to go. Throw a blanched green bean, broccoli, carrot, or any dark leafy green in the tank for them. They also need calcium and protein in their diet to be healthy in addition to harder water 140 ppm GH/KH. Hope that helps.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MrsPancakes said:
Mystery snails will eat live plants when starving. They need to be fed like any other animal in the tank. They literally can starve to death in a planted tank because people think they eat algae and are good to go. Throw a blanched green bean, broccoli, carrot, or any dark leafy green in the tank for them. They also need calcium and protein in their diet to be healthy in addition to harder water 140 ppm GH/KH. Hope that helps.
Okay, I will throw in a blanched pea. I have hard water, around 250-300 ppm.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm blanching the pea right now.
A quick question, will the plants grow new leaves, or will they stay the way they are?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They all seem to like blanched Zucchini quite a bit! Have you heard of Snello? Mysteries love that stuff. Make sure to remove the shell from the pea. ;)

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are the plants new? Could be they're melting as they transition from emersed to submerged growth. Like was said above, they'll eat live plants only as an alternative to starvation. But if the leaves are already dying, they will readily gobble up dead plant matter because it's much softer and easier to eat.

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I feed mine squash, Zucchini or cucumber once or twice a week.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mimo91088 said:
Are the plants new? Could be they're melting as they transition from emersed to submerged growth. Like was said above, they'll eat live plants only as an alternative to starvation. But if the leaves are already dying, they will readily gobble up dead plant matter because it's much softer and easier to eat.
I got the plants just yesterday. On my java fern there were a bunch of tiny bite marks so I'm pretty sure they are not melting.

New Threads