Black Moors Acting Funny

Onlyashes
Question my black moors seem healthy are eating and everything but just about every day I catch them where they will like sit on the bottom and stop breathing for like 15 seconds then breath rapidly then stop and do it again then maybe after a min or 2 there back to normal is this something I should be worried about all water parameters are good temp at 73 ammonia 0 pH has always been 8

Fishstuff
what do you feed them? I don't know if this is a possibility but they could be chewing food (because in their throat that's where they mash it up) or yawning. I have my fish yawning all the time.

Onlyashes
Goldfiah flakes and the occasion algae waffer but it never happens around after they have just ate

Fishstuff
Goldfiah flakes and the occasion algae waffer but it never happens around after they have just ate
hmm, I'm not sure. it may just be the fish (they could be lazy or something. you should look that up)

oldsalt777
Question my black moors seem healthy are eating and everything but just about every day I catch them where they will like sit on the bottom and stop breathing for like 15 seconds then breath rapidly then stop and do it again then maybe after a min or 2 there back to normal is this something I should be worried about all water parameters are good temp at 73 ammonia 0 pH has always been 8

Hello Only...

I'm a goldfish keeper and 73 degrees is pretty warm for a cool water fish. I keep the temp in my Comet and Goldfish tanks at 67. No heater is needed. Cool water holds oxygen better than warmer water. 73 degrees is more for tropical fish. Goldfish need a lot of oxygen being constantly mixed with the water, so I use a couple of dual sponge filters to really agitate the surface water and mix in a lot of O2. What's your water change routine? You should be removing and replacing at least half the water weekly to maintain a healthy water chemistry. I change out 60 percent or more of the water weekly.

Success with any fish is totally about giving them clean water all the time. Keep it pollution free and you'll have no problems.

Old

Mcasella
What size tank are they in? I would turn the temp down a little if you can and add an air pump to the mix to help with gas exchange.

Galathiel
Are you sure the goldfish aren't snoozing? The temperature is fine, but I would add a bubbler of some type. Goldfish are more temperate fish than coldwater, in that they can adapt to a wide range of temperatures, unlike fish like the wcmms. That's what makes goldfish ideally suited to ponds which will have a wide range of temperatures over the course of a year. My poor goldfish <I don't have a heater even plugged in> have to contend with temperatures up to 78-79 degrees in the warmer months, down to around 70 in the winter. I would wish it could be cooler, however, that's how warm the room actually is.

Goldiemom
Mine lay on the bottom a lot of the time. Then, after a short nap they are up and playing again. I never see them holding their breath or anything though.

Onlyashes
Maybe snoozing lol it has a bubbler and I do not have a heater in there it stays 73 at room temp it's 38 gallons and I do like 30% water change and gravel vac weekly I mean as soon as I put food in they go crazy eating as much as they can so it would make sense later on in the day there being lazy and sleeping

Galathiel
I will say that I do much larger water changes weekly because goldfish are so messy. I normally change more like 70 percent each week. I would suggest buying goldfish sinking pellets so that they don't get/stay in the habit of gulping at the surface. I use Omega One and New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets and really like them. I also bought some Repashy Super Gold to make some gel food, but haven't done so yet. They also get fresh veggies clipped in the tank and bloodworms as treats.

Onlyashes
Honestly what could I do to entertain them more they seem bored

oldsalt777
Only...

Goldfish like to explore and any fish will feel more comfortable in the tank with a lot of plants. I put a lot of floating plants in the tank like Hornwort and Anacharis. I add Anubias nana and nangI on the bottom. Not too much though. Goldfish like areas with no plants so they can swim around without running into something. My Comets especially like open areas, so they can show off their speed. Give your fish more plants and maybe some larger decorations where they can hide.

Old

Galathiel
Goldfish are in the carp family and do a lot of scavenging. That's why fresh veggies on clips can be useful to give them something to do without adding a lot of unneeded calories (and they are good for them!). Also, a light layer of sand gives them something to do as they sift through it looking for food.

Onlyashes
I will definitely get some plants! I have my tropical tanks planted pretty well just never thought to do it in the goldfish tank

Goldiemom
My play in the plants and I use to have a bubble wand...the long one that goes across the back of the tank. They would play in the bubbles. I moved it to another tank though (mean mama). Maybe I should get them another one.

Onlyashes
I have one of the bubble strips they love floating up and down the bubbles lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tayls
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views
Galathiel