Black Moor Question

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

I had a look at some black moor's today and one of them had a long thin thing coming out of its side. what is it?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Wow. Sounds like it may have been a leech Jake. Can't say for certain though.
    Happy Holidays!
    Ken

3. crazedACD Member Member

Color, size? Could be a parasite like an anchor worm or something.

4. Jake the Fish Member Member

How is it removed from the fish?

5. crazedACD Member Member

You can remove it with tweezers if you know what you're doing, but trust me, you do not want to bring home that fish or any other fish in that system for quite a while if it is an anchor worm. They are a huge headache to get rid of.

6. Jake the Fish Member Member

I had another look today and the thing on the side now has antenna sort of things. Does this help clarify what it is?

7. crazedACD Member Member

My guess would be indeed an anchor worm...did it kind of look like this?
    4.gif

It can happen to the best stores, but I would strongly advise not bringing home any fish from that system of tanks for a long time unless you have a place to quarantine for a few weeks.
    http://articles.gpasi.org/anchor_worms.html

8. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Anchor worm is a pain to deal with. Definitely avoid bringing home anything from that store - even plants. The anchor worm eggs could be on anything that was ever in any of the water there.

9. Jake the Fish Member Member

It does look like that. How long would you need to quarantine it for?

10. gremlin Well Known Member Member

The anchor worms would have to be manually removed - salt dips/baths done 2 - 3 times daily to bring out anymore that may be in the goldie - quarantined for at least 2 weeks with daily salt dips after all signs of anchor worm are gone just to make sure there are no more hiding dormant. It is time and labor intensive. If the fish are too small, they may not survive the removal of the anchor worms.

11. Jake the Fish Member Member

I went back and I saw the poor little fella in caught in the filter. :(

12. crazedACD Member Member

That's too bad, it's a nasty little worm...dosen't necessarily cause death, but can cause second hand infections, and if the fish is already stressed by being in the dealer's tanks, it definitely dosen't help. :( RIP little black moor.