Black Moor Question

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

I don't know what section to put this question in so I put it in this part of the forums. Anyway, I am buying my sister 1 or 2 Black Moor's depending on how many she can have. Would I need to get her an air pump? How many could I give her to put in her tank (it's actually a bowl)? The tank is fairly small, I reckon its around 2-3 gal.:;cr

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Here's a care guide for goldfish: https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Goldfish.htm

Imo, fish bowls shouldn't be used to house fish. They're too small to allow for proper filtration (or heating for tropical fish) and they don't give the fishies enough room to swim.

Also, goldfish are serious poopers. They create a ton of waste and get really big (kinda like a common pleco). A black moor actually grows to about 10 inches and (with proper care) can live for more than a decade! Definitely not suited for a tiny fish bowl. :(

Perhaps you could use the bowl as a really pretty bamboo planter? :)

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jake. :animal0068: I have moved your thread for you to the Cyprinids (includes Goldfish) section of the forum to help you to get more responses although Ilovee has you pretty well covered.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

4. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Jake,
    I'm sorry to say that Moor's and other goldfish require at least a 20 gallon tank for 1 fish and then 10 gallons for each additional fish. If you really want to get her goldfish you'll have to get at least a 20 Gallon tank. (You might be able to find some good deals on used tanks if you were interested.)
    Check out the goldfish board above here to see some picture of just how large these guys get. :)
    Good Luck.

P.S. - Since I don't think I've said it before... WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!! -

5. gremlin Well Known Member Member

My recommendation would be to find a nice 30 - 40 gallon (115 - 150 litres) tank with a good quality filter and an air pump. She can use her fish bowl as a decoration in the tank. Then, once the tank is up and running and has cycled, take her to pick out her black moors. That size tank would be able to hold two (2) black moors.

And just so you can see a size comparison, this is a picture of one of my goldfish (started out as a "feeder" goldfish) in a goldfish bowl that was given to me. Fishie is only in the bowl for the duration of the picture taking, then went back into the pond.

Attached Files:

6. Jake the Fish Member Member

If I bought her a bigger tank she would have one bigger then mine :(

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing sibling rivalry at its best...

8. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Then maybe a 5 gallon tank with a filter and heater and a betta?

9. Diggly Well Known Member Member

thats a good idea gremlin! and she would love the betta just as much :).