Black moor with no eyes

hpcdr
my Koi carp ate my black moor eyes I removed the koi carp, and now I do not know what to do with the black moor. the black moor seem to be ok, it swim fine, but I am worried about her eating. would it survive?. please can anyone tell me what to do. Thanks

Chief_waterchanger
The only way the goldfish would survive, in my opinion, is as follows:

Isolate the goldfish in a tank by itself
Keep it in a tank, indoors
Don't put substrait or any objects in the tank (Sand if any substrate)

Were they in a pond when that happened? What were they in when it happened, if not?

sirdarksol
That's really not normal. Carp do not generally attempt to eat any other live fish that doesn't fit in their mouths. Is it possible that the moor was already sick? I also echo CWC's last two questions.
Your goldfish has a huge advantage over most blind fish. Being a member of the carp family, it can navigate by senses other than sight. I would definitely make sure that it is in a tank that doesn't have anything big enough to attack it (in my opinion, tiny suckermouths like otos would be ok, as would something like algae-eating or bamboo shrimp).
Sand or bare bottomed tank would be a good idea, but I disagree that there shouldn't be any objects. Nothing hard, for sure, but I think that some sort of soft plant would be a good idea, because it would be the only way for the fish to feel protected (ie by swimming into a cluster of water wysteria.)

hpcdr
they were in 200 gallon aquarium

Chief_waterchanger
A single koi would do fine in a 200 gallon until it is about 10 years old, so it is an odd occurance, unless it was stocked with several.

I think the soft plants may be an idea, but of course you can find out by trying it, then if it presents a stressful situation they can be removed.

I disagree with the suckermouth example of Otos.. Otos are tropical whereas goldfish are temperate... temperature needs are different. There is not really any commonly available suckermouths or algae eatting temperate-water fish, that I know of, that would do well in an aquarium.

hpcdr
sirdarksol the moor was not sick, and I seen the koi carp attack it, and ate a big pace of the moor fin tail, than I looked at moor and seen it without eyes. The eyes look like been suck out. The koi carp is about 6 inches long and the moor is about 3 inches. Now I took the koi out and put it in 50 gallon tank until I get rid of it. I left the moor in the 200 gallon tank with two other goldfish and a small black knife ghost. I tried feeding them the moor seem to sense there are food but can not see it, so I am worried that it will starve to death.

sirdarksol
Sorry, wasn't thinking about the temperature thing. Normally, I would say that a goldfish would do fine in a tropical tank, but I think that giving a fish like this varying water temperatures would be more comfortable.

So, yes, oto isn't a good idea. I stand by the claim that shrimp might be ok (and there are shrimp, like the Amano, that will survive the varying temps of an unheated tank).

CWC is right that you should watch the fish to verify that the plants aren't stressing it out (for example, if it swims away rapidly every time it runs into the plants).

If you took the koi out of the 200g, what have you done with it? I think it would be a much better idea to take the Black Moor out of the 200 gallon and leave the koi (which can get much larger) in it.

hpcdr
I already have 5 soft plants in the aquarium

Chief_waterchanger
When you feed the tank, make sure to put food right near the eyeless goldfish and he will pick up the scent of the food. Try to feed floating pellets perhaps, he may pick up objects with more substance easier than something like flake food, or sinking pellets.

Just a thought.

I would agree with Sirdarksol, I would take the goldfish to the 55 gallon and keep the koi in the 200g, if you are getting rid of the koi then the other fish in the 200 gallon should be alright until you can get rid of the koi.

If you can observe the goldfish fine from the 200 gallon and the others don't pick on it, or steal all the food from it, then I would say that is a great setup.

Also would like to commend you for not "getting rid of" the goldfish just because it has a non-painful disability. It will eventually learn to cope, if provided for.

hpcdr
thanks Chief_waterchanger for the suggestion, but I am afraid that the koi will harm the other fish, so that's why I put it by it self. The moor seem to be doing fine in the 200 gallon tank. I tried feeding it a mix of floating pellets, flake food, and sinking pellets. She tries to eat, but unable to find the food. I hope it will learn to cope, and learn to feed, because I do not want to get rid of it. As for the koi I will get rid of it as soon as I can. I did not koi do this otherwise I did not get him. Thanks

sirdarksol
Once again, this is really odd. Koi normally aren't vicious like this. I haven't ever heard of one going after such a large fish. Often, fish fry are safe with koi around as long as they are big enough that they can be recognized as fish, because koi don't eat live fish often.
However, like every other animal, koi are individuals, and some are mean and nasty. Apparently, you got one of those.
I think, in the end, your moor will end up doing better in the 55 gallon (he can wait until you find someone who will take the koi, as long as that doesn't take too long). I'd get a feeding ring, and soak some pellets in something aromatic (I think that I've heard that juice from garlic is good at convincing ill fish to eat), so the Moor can get used to the foot showing up in one area.

Chief_waterchanger
I theorize that fish communicate much the way humans do, perhaps they have a language of their own.. and not meaning to sound like a smart-rear end, but perhaps that goldfish talked about the koi's mother... that kinda thing. That goldfish may have just ticked the koi off in some way is what that 'talked about his mother' means. But getting it to eat is your current battle, if you fail that battle it dies regardless of what you house it in, either tank is large enough for it. Soaking the food in garlic is an awesome idea.

hpcdr
The moor is not eating. I put it in a small bowl, I put some food, but still not eating. The fish look weak now, so I think it is going to die

Chief_waterchanger
It probably will die, but putting it in a small bowl will definitely expedite the trip to death's door.

hpcdr
I put it in the bowl, so it can eat, but it did not eat now it is back in 200g

MelyBu
Maybe he/she just doesn't feel like eating? Mine didn't eat for a few days then all of a sudden he started to eat again. My Moor has one eye. Hope your Moor turns out to be ok.

Top Bottom