Black Moor with gill problems

Rebecca123

Hello,
I've been dealing with this problem for about a year now. My Black Moor has one gill that is flipping outward. I can actually see the red that is supposed to be covered by the gill. It looks like there could be a white film on the flipped out part of the gill. He doesn't seem to be in pain or stressed. No rubbing or scratching. He does everything a normal fish would. He still plays in his bubbles. Besides the black Moor I have 2 other fancy goldfish. They live in a 100 gallon tank with a 120 gallon Fluval power filter, one air stone, a large rock for a hiding place, natural gravel rocks, river rocks and a few real plants that have stayed alive somehow. Everything in the tank has a smooth surface so the fish can't hurt themselves. I had to sand down some of the edges on the fake rock I have in there just in case. The water quality is pretty good. I have well water instead of city so there's no chlorine but it has nitrates. So I treat the water with a water conditioner. It detoxifies nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. The PH is usually between 7.0 and 7.4. I also have ammonia reducer in the filter. I do 50% water changes every week and sometimes add aquarium salt. The tank is in a well lit area in my living room but far enough from the window that it doesn't get heated up during the day. Water temp is around 65 degrees F. The fish eat mostly flakes but I try to give them blood worms once a week. They also LOVE skinned grapes and peas. They eat twice a day. If anyone knows what the cause of this gill problem is please let me know. I would appreciate it so much. I've read before that it could be caused from high ammonia. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Aquaphobia

It could be a deformity but what are your exact parameters in both tap and tank? Is your tank cycled? What kind of filtration do you have on the tank? Do you have nitrate-removing media in the filter as well as ammonia-removing? What is your maintenance schedule and when was the last water change?

Rebecca123

Hi!
Thanks for responding. The tank has been cycled. I'm on well water so I have nitrates. I treat the water with a conditioner that makes nitrates,nitrites and ammonia safe. I also have ammonia reducing media in the filter. It's a 100 gal tank with a 120 gal Fluval power filter. I do 50% water changes every week. Sometimes more. I did the last water change yesterday. There's also 2 other goldfish in the tank. 3 total.

Rebecca123

The PH is at 7.4 right now

Aquaphobia

What is your nitrate reading in both tap and tank? In a cycled tank you shouldn't have any ammonia readings at all nor should you need ammonia remover unless it's also coming from the tap.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JuDom
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
FishyBom
Replies
Views