Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Black Moor With Cloudy White Stuff On Tail

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by jennikz, Feb 22, 2019.

1. jennikzNew MemberMember

I purchased a black moor on Sunday and put him in my ttank. Today, he's laying in the bottom and is very lethargic and I've noticed a cloudy whitish stuff on his tail... I'm fairly certain it's not ich. It's not spots or patches, it appears more like a film. Any ideas? Fin rot maybe? Or some kind of fungus?

Currently trying to get a pic, but he's making it difficult. What should I do?

2. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

net him out and place into a shallow container to get a pic.

is he the only one in the tank?

do a large water change asap.

3. jennikzNew MemberMember

He is not the only one. There are two more fancies and a snail. I'm currently setting up a quarantine tank and going to get him out asap. I'm also picking up some meds tomorrow ...

4. jennikzNew MemberMember

He appears to have lifting scales ... Pine-coning? This is the best pic I can get ... But the white is mostly on the underside of his tail and back fins and very hard to see. He had a messed up tail when I bought him, the one side was curled up... And another fish in the tank at the pet store didn't look very spunky. Right now, I'm regretting even buying him but .... too late for that.

I hope whatever it is doesn't affect my other two goldies.

Should I add salt to his quarantine tank ???

I did about 60-70% water change after I removed him to the tank. Still picking up meds tomorrow but not sure he's gonna make it, although he's swimming normal in this quarantine tank.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. FishitryhardValued MemberMember

This isn't good. He may have two conditions due to bad water. Lifting scales is usually a late sign of dropsy, a disease that has a very high fatality rate. As for the white film, if you can't exactly diagnose it, it may be fin rot or fungus. I suggest some Seachem Prime, which treats both. For the dropsy, you may want to consider either treatment or euthanasia.