Black moor with asymmetrical eye bulge things Help

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by aylad, Nov 25, 2012.

1. aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

Mom has a fairly large black moor that has always had symmetrical eye bulges (don't really know what they're called). All of a sudden this week she noticed that one eye isn't bulging as much as usual.

Any ideas what would cause this? She's never invested in a test kit, so I can't tell you the parameters, but her cycle has been long-established and she does frequent water changes.

2. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

This is odd... Just to be sure, are you certain one eye doesn't look smaller because the other has bulged out more? Just wondering, because all references are to "pop eye" but that makes an eye bigger, not smaller.

However if the fish is otherwise healthy, and there is no clouding in the smaller or larger eye and really no indications of swelling, it could very likely just be genetics. The eye size can "shift" slightly over time, again provided everything else is ok. Apparently this often happens to black moors.

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I was helping my sister with her telescope eye goldie and during research I read that it is quite normal for them to have asymmetrical eyes as they can grow at different rates and times when they're both exactly the same are few and far between.

I'm not positive this extends to black moors as well but I would think so, just an idea.

4. OP
    OP
    aylad

Hmm. I don't see the fish that often, but to me, it seems like one eye has receded rather than the other one popping out more.

I feel like this happened too suddenly to be a normal growth pattern, but I dunno. Maybe it has been going on for a while and mom just has noticed? I'm not sure.

5. OP
    OP
    aylad

Got a couple photos, for what they're worth.

uploadfromtaptalk1353872206951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353872249641.jpg

6. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

It's a little hard to tell on the pictures, but one eye does indeed look more settled. But is everything else ok with the fish? Seems to be resting on the bottom there... Otherwise I'm pretty sure it's genetics.

7. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I would think its just poor genetics. My Luna has disproportionate eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    aylad

It has been resting on the bottom more than usual. Of course, it's in a 10gal tank that it is waaay too big for. That's a battle I haven't won yet. :( It does have spells where it rests a lot for a week or two, and then it resumes normal swimming activity.

Its appetite seems off; mom isn't sure whether that's because something's wrong with its eye and it can't see the food or if there's something else wrong. It is eating a little, but less than usual.

No other symptoms that I know of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice