Black Moor turning white and bottom sitting

1. Keli Initiate Member

Hi everyone!

My beautiful new baby blackmoor is turning whitish around his tail base and it is spreading. He has been way less active the last few days and bottom sitting. I bought him a month ago and he is about an inch long. After I bought him I noticed one of his eyes had a white film over it and was a bit swollen, but he seemed otherwise well. He was really energetic until a week ago when he started bottom sitting. He has been eating (he likes surface feeding), but less than usual. This fuzzy white (fungus?) has started spreading all over him.

He is living with 6 other baby goldies. I do plan to have them in a bigger tank as they grow but my budget would only allow a 40 gallon one for now- it seems like lots of room for those 7 wee fish. The rest of the fishies seem OK. One other one seems like he might be getting a whitish film too but it's hard to tell as he is a pale gold colour...

I'm a new to caring for fish and have set my tank up according to recommendations (cycled prior to adding fish etc). I have a filter appropriate for tank size with biological medium part and another part I change monthly. I have 2 air bubble stones. I do weekly, sometimes twice weekly 20% water changes/gravel vacuums. I test the water weekly and did it today. The PH was 7.8, 0ppm of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I know the PH is a wee bit high but I'm not sure exactly how to lower it yet- it was on my list of things to research.

I bought Melafix and methylene blue from the store but i'm not sure whether to do dips in the blue and treat the whole tank with melafix or if I should be doing something else... googling has got me very confused about the best thing to do :(

I'll get a photo of him in the morning- the tank is in our new house we are moving to in a couple of weeks. They get visits from us once or twice a day for wee feeds and checks.

Thanks so much

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How did you cycle the tank prior to adding your fish? Despite their size goldfish are heavy waste producers. What size filter and what is its gph rating? What kind of media do you have in it?

Welcome to the forum and hope someone here can help!

3. Keli Initiate Member

I'm not sure about the GPH rating- the box said it was for tanks up to 60 gallons but I'll check it first thing. I introduced some gravel from a friend's established tank to the gravel for my new tank, turned everything on and left it for around 2 weeks. That was recommended by the fish shop. Then I added my fish. The water was treated with conditioner as it was tap water and I do frequent water changes. I haven't had any ammonia/nitrite issues since I got my testing kit (3 weeks ago, testing weekly).

Wouldn't the water parameters reflect it if the fish waste was the problem? I was feeling so secure with my ammonia free water :/

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What test are you using? I agree that you should be seeing ammonia at the very least!

The fish shop unfortunately was wrong. Letting a tank run without an ammonia source won't cycle it. Your friend's gravel would have had some bacteria growing on it but most of that lives in the filter. Also, without the ammonia the bacteria need they probably starved off. It is just possible though that the fish went in just in time though so have hope!

5. Keli Initiate Member

Rats... I did wonder when I saw some info about cycling with fish....

I have this test kit

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=580

I followed the instructions really carefully.

Thanks for your input- I hope my other fish are ok. I actually have had one of them for a year- he is still small though. I tortured the poor guy in a bowl with no filtration or airation when I was totally ignorant :( I'd hate for something to happen to him now that I'm finally learning about how to actually care for fish!!

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's a good test kit! Lots of us use and recommend it:) Maybe check the expiry date on the bottles to be sure? How it was stored before you got it might also have affected it. Do you know anyone who can test your water for you as a double check?