Black Moor Has White Mouth

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Did you take him out of the water to do the swab? H2O2 breaks down into oxygen and water quickly, so it's possible it broke down before doing anything if you did the swab underwater.
I can definitely say it's not columnaris, everything in the tank would be dead by now. It's am awful disease.
Sorry for the late response alsk

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh thank you! Of course, that makes so much sense. I didn't, no, I need to take him out and try again of course. Sorry, I'm such a beginner with it all. I will try again and let you know how it goes. Yes otherwise he seems happy, very active, eating really well and chasing my female black moor around every so often as normal

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey, no problem, and you're not the first to do it, that's why I kinda guessed, lol. No need to apologise either!!

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi again, sorry to keep asking questions but basically struggling a bit! The poor guy is now flashing here and there and still has a white mouth. Can't see any white dots on his body but I'm assuming it's ich / fungal. Just wondered if there was anything else I could try? He is still eating and active and seems okay other than the horrible cotton mouth and ich thing going on. Wish I could relieve the discomfort for him somehow. Water parameters are 0, 0, 20 and temperature 23 degrees celsius. The other two fish aren't showing any similar signs at all. It's been going on for a couple of weeks now poor guy

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also just noticed my other black moor who is usually so healthy and robust, now has one clouded white eye. Is this in any way related would you think? The nitrates have risen to 20-30ppm so about to do a 50% w/c. Again, apologies for asking so many annoying questions. Just concerned for them!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ack, sorry again! Got a lot of stuff going on in life.
The good news is that it can't be Ich, it's possible it's a fungus.
The eye sounds like something else, not sure what that is.
I'd switch to methylene blue for both of them. You'll need a different tub or something for them because it'll destroy your beneficial bacteria and stain everything blue.
Get a sterilite container, the 6qt one will work and is 96¢ at Target. Fill it with water, lay down painters tarp or similar aound it to catch any splashes, it stains everything.
There are two dosages on the bottle. Look at the lower dose, the one for eggs, I believe it's like 10 drops per two gallon. Double it and put your fish in the bath for 30 mintues. Actually, you'll need two containers, one to "rinse" them in for 5 min after the bath before going back in the aquarium. So 10 drops per gallon, 6qt is 1.5 gallons.
Sorry if that's confusing, my brain is fogg

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much! I hope you're okay? Sounds like you've got a lot going on?
I have 2 x 3 gallon buckets I will use (and only fill halfway, dosing with 15 drops). That's really helped, I was getting very confused and concerned so thank you so much! I will update you on any progress

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tayls said:
Thank you so much! I hope you're okay? Sounds like you've got a lot going on?
I have 2 x 3 gallon buckets I will use (and only fill halfway, dosing with 15 drops). That's really helped, I was getting very confused and concerned so thank you so much! I will update you on any progress
I'm good, thanks for asking! Just got sick for the first half of the week, so I've got a lot of work to make up
If you use the buckets, you'll have to rinse them really really well before using them for water changes and stuff, and they may get stained. Should scrape off after it dries though.

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh no! Nightmare!
Oh that's great thanks for all the extra advice, I need it. As I'm in the UK methylene blue is going to take a week to deliver, I wondered if the API Primafix antifungal bottle would do the same thing? Again, apologies for more questions!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tayls said:
Oh no! Nightmare!
Oh that's great thanks for all the extra advice, I need it. As I'm in the UK methylene blue is going to take a week to deliver, I wondered if the API Primafix antifungal bottle would do the same thing? Again, apologies for more questions!
I'm not sure, sorry, I know it's a weaker medication that methylene blue, but I don't think we're dealing with anything top bad. Personally, I can't use it because apparently the tea tree oil messes with my asthma... Lol, that was a fun time, cuz my tanks are in my bedroom so I had to sleep on the couch for a while

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you again! So so helpful. I managed to locate some methylene blue online that will arrive tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely,Yes. I love to know the outcomes on these threads also. Will post pics of any progress too

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi again, just an update - I gave them all a methylene blue bath for 30 mins (2ml per 8 litre bucket) and popped them back in their tank. They've been eating well and swimming around like normal since. I just wondered if I should do it again? The mouth is still white and eye still cloudy so wondered how long it would take to clear up

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd give them a day or two first, methylene blue is extremely gentle, but moving them back and forth can stress them a bit.

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello (again). Just an update if anyone is reading - gave them another methylene blue bath for 30 minutes about a week ago. Unfortunately the white lip black moor still has his white lips and still flashing a little bit. His whole body has a kind of white outline to him, not spotty like ich. The other black moor has very faint white lips now and a white 'behind' (not sure if this is from the original white mouth male chasing her all the time, does it work like that - on contact?)
I should probably try an anti fungal med, just researching which one. Thinking of API melafix?
Apologies I'm still working it out. Oh and I can't for the life of me apply the hydrogen peroxide correctly they're not at all happy with me handling them and I feel I'm stressing them further with my inexperience. Poor guys.
Water parameters: Amm 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10 Temp: 22 degrees celsius

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dang, seriously? Any chance it's costia? Maybe just slime coat shedding.
Also, I think melafix is for bacterial infections and pimafix is for fungal. Methylene blue should have taken care of any external fungal infections though, poor little dudes.

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ah! I'll try pimafix then. Thanks. It's always so off putting reading the reviews for medications. But I'll try anything, hate watching him flash! Hopefully it's slime coat shedding, thanks I hadnt heard of that before

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom