Black Moor Has White Mouth

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can't seem to find any info online about this. The other black moor doesn't have a white mouth.
He has been flashing a bit here and there so obviously concerned and wondering whether to medicate. Here's the only clear pic I could get (he's very active)
Parameters: Amm 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 10. Temp 73 degrees farenheit. They are fed on Repashy super gold gel food 2 x a day and brine shrimp / daphnia / bloodworm 3x a week
Thank you
Ps it's not white dots, it's all round the mouth and there are no other white dots on his fins or anything. I'm pretty sure he didn't have a white mouth when I got him

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My common goldfish had something similar to this, I'll come back with a pic in a bit. I couldn't get the right answer from anyone, and it kept growing and taking off some of the skin. I got answers from columnaris to costia, but the meds never worked. In the end, I used hydrogen peroxide and it finally went away. Get a net, a Q-tip, and hydrogen peroxide. Dip the Q-tip in hydrogen peroxide, lift your fish out, gently swab it's mouth, leave it out for 5-10 seconds, then put it back in the tank. Your fish probably won't like it, mine was shaking her head a lot, but it went away and didn't come back.

Here's some pictures, it almost looked like a slimy infection of sorts.

Attachments

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh thank you! And bless him. Well done for working out what to do with success. I'd never think to do that. But scared to do it if I'm honest. Thanks so much for the advice and photos!

Sorry, *her. Is she still with you?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tayls said:
Oh thank you! And bless him. Well done for working out what to do with success. I'd never think to do that. But scared to do it if I'm honest. Thanks so much for the advice and photos!

Sorry, *her. Is she still with you?
I actually ended up getting the advice from a very experienced goldfish keeper, it had never crossed my mind either!
And yes, even after getting dropsy 2x, she's still alive and kicking! 4 years old, 8 inches, and still growing :nailbiting:

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tayls said:
Wow amazing! Good for you! She's very lucky. I'm going to look into getting hydrogen peroxide thank you
No problem, and yeah, crazy lucky fair fish! I mean, dropsy twice?!
I sure hope it works for your fish!! You should be able to find hydrogen peroxide at most drug stores, both 2% and 3% works fine.

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gosh, yes very lucky fair fish! Thanks so much for the advice

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tayls said:
Gosh, yes very lucky fair fish! Thanks so much for the advice
No problem, I'll be here if you have any more questions or concerns!

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will, thank you! Are there any brands you'd recommend?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
no personal experience myself.

according to this, there are a few strains of columnaris, some are more resistant to meds than others. he had success with . The ingredient is 100% Sulfathiazolehttp://petskeepersguide.com/fish-mouth-rot-fungus-treatment/

a few other sites recommend Methylene blue, , Acriflavine, Furan2, Terramycin, Kanaplex and Maracyn 2

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh great thank you so much!

Sorry to ask again but I'm new to this and don't want to upset my fish. Should I treat the one fish in a 5 gallon bucket with methylyne blue? If so, for how long should I leave him in this 'hospital tank'?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tayls said:
Sorry to ask again but I'm new to this and don't want to upset my fish. Should I treat the one fish in a 5 gallon bucket with methylyne blue? If so, for how long should I leave him in this 'hospital tank'?
Have you done the hydrogen peroxide swab yet? Lol, sorry for still asking questions

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't! Do you think I should do that first?

Oh and sorry to keep asking stupid questions(!) but would it be the 3% or 12% that you'd recommend? Just looking at it now

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tayls said:
Oh and sorry to keep asking stupid questions(!) but would it be the 3% or 12% that you'd recommend? Just looking at it now
I would recommend going with the H2O2 first, and go with the 3%

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi again! @Rtessy I finally got the hydrogen peroxide 3% delivered and attempted to apply straight to his mouth with cotton swabs. It took 12 goes, because he would dart off each time he realised it wasn't food, but I think in those twelve swabs I swiped his mouth each time. I couldn't hold him and do any kind of firm swab against his mouth but definitely contacted with the hydrogen peroxide every time, with a new dose of hydrogen peroxide on a new cotton swab if you know what I mean.
Do you think this is enough? And should I keep doing this every day til it goes?
Thanks again, so much, for your suggestions - everyone!

PS the 'white lipstick' went down a bit before I got the hydrogen peroxide, is this even possible without treatment? Perhaps it was just wishful thinking but did look less intense

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tayls said:
PS the 'white lipstick' went down a bit before I got the hydrogen peroxide, is this even possible without treatment? Perhaps it was just wishful thinking but did look less intense
possible if you did regular water changes, clean water is the best preventative of diseases.

Tayls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hopefully! What is it do you think? As the others don't have it I'm a bit confused! Columnaris?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom