Black Molly - White Spots then Gold Spots?

heartofdarkness

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20G
How long has the tank been running? ~ 1 year
Does it have a filter? Yes, HOB
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 77-78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 6 Neon Tetra, 4 Pygmy Cory, 2 Mystery Snail, 2 Ghost Shrimp, 2 Black Molly

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Was bi-weekly, now weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? API conditioner, Easy Balance+ every few changes,
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, well-cycled now
What do you use to test the water? API Master Test Kit as well as co-op strips when I'm lazy
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8-7.0 depending on the day

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6x week, 1 off day (Sunday)
How much do you feed your fish? A good pinch of flakes, 1 wafer
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Broken up Hikari sinking wafers, tetra min flakes,
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? very occasionally a bloodworm or two.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 8 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 10 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Black Molly had white spots on head, that over time have changed to a golden/sparkly hue.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Quarantined in a 3 gallon bucket (other tank used unfortunately for separate hospital), salt dips 1x a day. No medication yet.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not really changed, still eating, no signs of stress or other damage.

So I have a very strange situation that I was unable to find anything online about. My black Molly, which has been perfectly healthy up until I noticed this, started to develop very minimal white spots on the top of the head. I immediately quarantined her, thinking it was ick or similar as I have a larger tank with an introduction that spread this and some cross-contamination could have been present there before I noticed. No other fish have so far showed any signs of this or health issues whatsoever. I upped the temperature gradually to 86 degrees in the quarantine tank using a few different heaters I have, as I was trying to avoid medication as well as give a low % salt dip each day. Now about 4 days ago, these white spots turned gold, I'm not sure exactly when but they are gold, have a slight shimmer and are spreading. It's not the bucket color either, I confirmed this in a clear container too. I was thinking velvet perhaps, but the other fish still show no signs of any illness so I'm not really sure as I know both velvet and ick spread fast.

Main tank I did a very thorough vacuuming and 50% change as soon as I pulled the Molly out but haven't medicated or upped the temp so far.

I'm honestly at a loss, her behavior is mostly unchanged, waste is a normal color. Signs point to parasite from a visual, but I've never seen a color change like this. It was truly pure white and then this.... any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 21

GameVet

How old is your molly? I’m no expert but my mollies do sometimes get their full colors later in their youth as they near adulthood. Guessing that happens at around 6-10 weeks but I’ve never really timed it.
How old is your molly? I’m no expert but my mollies do sometimes get their full colors later in their youth as they near adulthood. Guessing that happens at around 6-10 weeks but I’ve never really timed it.
Found something called velvet. It is a kind of parasite. Not sure if that’s it.

Upvote 0

heartofdarkness

Found something called velvet. It is a kind of parasite. Not sure if that’s it.

I'm thinking it's very likely velvet at this point, the white spots could have been the very early stages or my eyes tricking me, but it's most certainly gold colored now. Molly is at least 8 months old, likely a year+ given size at time of when I got her. I was hoping it was some gold dust Molly genes popping up but it's pretty late in life for that I think.

She's starting to shimmy as well, likely due to the stress of hospital. I've added Paracleanse and additional salt, as well as livebearer salt to help increase the PH to hopefully ease her stress, I'll continue treating as velvet, if so it's pretty developed. Thank you GameVet for responding

Upvote 0

heartofdarkness

Molly (Heart of darkness is her name, hence my namesake) is doing better already. A few flakes have shedded and shimmying has decreased and she seems more comfortable. I added an airstone to see if we can get the water more oxygenated for healing and decreasing stress. I think my original white -> gold flakes is an incorrect diagnosis. I'll update if I see better soon.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tankseeker
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies