Black Molly Suddenly Very Sick!!

Tunaboy
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?: 20 Gallon High.
How long has the tank been running?: Since July 21st.
Does it have a filter? Yes.
Does it have a heater?: Yes but it’s not on because it’s been so hot where I live.
What is the water temperature?: 78- 82.
What is the entire stocking of this tank?:
1 Male Betta,
4 Molly’s
3 Harlequin Rasboras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?: Once every week.
How much of the water do you change?: Around 25%.
What do you use to treat your water?: Seachem Prime and Stress Coat.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?: I vacuum the substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?: I did a Fish-In cycle.
What do you use to test the water?: Freshwater Master Test Kit.
What are your parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?: Every other day.
How much do you feed your fish?: One pinch of food twice a day.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?: TetraMin Tropical Fish Flakes.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?: I sometimes feed dried bloodworms.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? I’ve had my black Molly since July 21st.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?: yesterday at around 7pm.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?: they are not swimming around anymore. Their fins appear shredded and they just lay on the bottom of the tank.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?: No I haven’t except testing my water and doing 25% water change.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?: No they were completely fine.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Their scales are turning less black and they just lay at the bottom of the tank.

Explain your emergency situation in detail: Ok it’s the weirdest thing ever. Yesterday my black Molly was behaving normal (eating, swimming around, getting into mischief). Later on I decide to go for a walk (around 45 minutes to an hour). When I came back I noticed my Molly laying on the bottom of the tank not moving. I watched them until I decided to go to bed thinking that maybe they would go back to normal the next morning. This morning I found they laying on the bottom of the tank, unable to swim, tail bent down and with shredded fins. I AM SO CONFUSED. How can a fish go from being super healthy to very sick in only an hour?

6F5DDA1F-C9AF-4809-AC7C-91B5BFA2AA12.jpeg

58DEC2D5-D95D-41FD-83D5-A2431D85B607.jpeg

Advertisement
AquaticQueen
Mollies can be jerks. It's possible that one of them is picking on the rest. The betta could be doing it behind your back too.
I would increase the amount of water changes to 25% every other day to promote the molly's recovery.
Also, I noticed the molly is VERY skinny. Is her poop stringy? I would treat the tank for parasites.
One more thing, what are you feeding your betta? Does it eat flakes like the rest of them? If so, it might be better to change the betta's diet. Flakes don't have enough protein for them. I recommend Bug Bites.

Advertisement
Tunaboy
Mollies can be jerks. It's possible that one of them is picking on the rest. The betta could be doing it behind your back too.
I would increase the amount of water changes to 25% every other day to promote the molly's recovery.
Also, I noticed the molly is VERY skinny. Is her poop stringy? I would treat the tank for parasites.
One more thing, what are you feeding your betta? Does it eat flakes like the rest of them? If so, it might be better to change the betta's diet. Flakes don't have enough protein for them. I recommend Bug Bites.
Hello!
I haven't been able to really look at her poop. How do you treat a tank for parasites??

For the betta, I have been giving him Zoo Med Betta Floating Pellets. I'll look into the food you recommended.

IMG_4473.JPG

Tunaboy
Also, I noticed the molly is VERY skinny.

I noticed that too! A couple of days before I saw that my three other mollies looked plump except for this one molly. I thought that maybe it would happen later.

AquaticQueen
Hello!
I haven't been able to really look at her poop. How do you treat a tank for parasites??
Dose the tank with Seachem PolyGuard.

Tunaboy
Dose the tank with Seachem PolyGuard.
*sigh* I lost the fish this morning. :,(

This is probably the hardest part of fish keeping. Does anyone know what I should do to my tank now that the fish has passed? I did a 25% water change yesterday but I’m not sure what kind of maintenance I need to do for when a fish dies.

Tunaboy
Also I’m kind of worried about my pH levels being high. Usually it stuck around at 7.6 - 7.4, but today it’s at 8.0.

AquaticQueen
*sigh* I lost the fish this morning. :,(

This is probably the hardest part of fish keeping. Does anyone know what I should do to my tank now that the fish has passed? I did a 25% water change yesterday but I’m not sure what kind of maintenance I need to do for when a fish dies.
Sorry to hear that. It sure sucks when a fish dies.
I would do a 30-40% water change because the fish's corpse probably released a ton of ammonia into the water.

Tunaboy
Sorry to hear that. It sure sucks when a fish dies.
I would do a 30-40% water change because the fish's corpse probably released a ton of ammonia into the water.
Thank you, I’ll do that today.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jubie101
Replies
Views
Fljoe
Replies
Views
Newplatyowner
Replies