Black Molly Or Black Guppy?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MossBall, Apr 16, 2017.

1. MossBall

MossBall Valued Member Member

I want to add one fish to my 10g shrimp and craw tank in a few weeks. My substrate is black with blue pebbles. My plants are almost all green with some with blue accents and one solid blue. My wall(background) is purple. I was thinking of getting one black fish to accent the plants and (match) the substrate. Which one of these will:
    1. Do better by itself.
    2. Do better in 100% freshwater.
    3. Do better in a 10g.
    4. Will make the shrimp feel more safe.
    5. Do better without a heater.
    6. Do better in 7.5-8.5 PH.
    7. Do better in ultra hard water.
    P.S. Could I get one of each?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Mollies need bigger tanks, so go with a guppy.

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I second what Anders said. Guppies are okay in 10 gal tanks. Mollies need way more room :)

4. OP
    OP
    MossBall

What about a solid black plattie? Do those exist?

5. APierce

Solid black sword tails I've seen and actually had....If they do, you might have a problem finding them and they might be a hybrid.

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Platies can work in this size tank

7. OP
    OP
    MossBall

Just wanted to give you all an update. I found someone on aquabid who had true black guppies. So I bout a trio. Wasnt planning on getting more than one but I really liked them. From the pictures and videos they look actaully black not dark blue or dark green! I will post a picture when I get them. They are now individually and as a group the most expencive thing I plan to stock this tank with. So I hope they do well in the tank. This is planning to be a $185 stocked tank! So much for keeping it simple and low budget. Lol.

8. APierce

I've seen solid black moscow guppies before, very neat looking guppies!

9. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

What is the tempature of the tank?

10. OP
    OP
    MossBall

@Arades I honestly wasn't planning to have a heater. One came with the kit, so I might actually decide to heat it now that I just bought $17 guppies and plan to buy $7 snowball shrimp and 2 $23 dwarf crayfish. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice