Black Molly has white fuzzy spot on it.....

treynolds

Can anyone tell me what this is? Just noticed this on my black molly today. He is in a 29 gallon tank with 1 other molly, 2 platys, 1 guppy, and 3 angelfish. It has been setup for 6 months now. The tank has a piece of driftwood in it. Water parameters are all good. The spot is white and fuzzy looking. There is only 1 spot on him and it is probably close to 2 mm in size. Other fish are fine. He is currently in a separate quarantine tank that has been treated with just salt and apI stress coat. I don't think it is ich but I'm not sure. Never had to deal with ich before thankfully. Pic is attached below. There is food in there also so that is what is floating in picture. He only has the one fuzzy spot.Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20130326_012433.jpeg
    20130326_012433.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 2,113

Eienna

Oh, dude. Get him out of the tank RIGHT NOW if you haven't already. That could easily be columnaris (assuming it's not simply an infected injury, in which case he's still in bad shape). It's a very contagious deadly disease that nearly always kills its victI'm within 38 hours. Treat both the quarantine and main tanks with either furan-2 or kanaplex (kanamycin) RIGHT AWAY or this could wipe out your whole tank. Accept no medicinal substitutions, even if suggested to you by an LFS worker, as this requires very specific treatment and has shown resistance to certain antibiotics.

EDIT: As a side note, 29 gallon is bare minimum for a SINGLE angel. You really need to rehome two of them.

snowflake25

I thought columnaris too, but if it looks cottony then it is probably ich. Quarantine either way. Good luck.

Eienna

It's NOT ich. Ich looks like the fish was sprinkled in salt.

Tinkerfae

I had some fish with a cottony substance on them and was told it was a fungus. S that may be a possiblility.

Eienna

Well, it can be a fungus, but if there's a possibility of columnaris that MUST be treated for first because it kills so fast.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
Initiate
Replies
Views
jaydivingboard
Replies