Black Molly About To Give Birth

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Sarah Laferriere, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Sarah Laferriere

Sarah Laferriere Valued Member Member

Hello,
    My Molly looks as though she's about to drop fry. I've been watching for about 20 minutes. The other fish must have noticed too because they were literally all over her. They never do that to her. I don't have a breeder box or anything so all I could think to do is take some of her tank water to fill a 1 gallon tank I have. I have her in it now but I'm not sure how long she can safely stay in there?? It has an airstone in it, no filter. No fry yet :(

[​IMG]

2. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

The other fish are like, "mmm, fresh fries..." lol, sorry. My guppy was like that for a few days where she got so big I thought she was going to explode. She gave birth 3 times, always at night when it was dark. Maybe turn off the lights? I'm not a breeding expert, I have no idea how she'll react to that or how many she'll end up eating, I would assume she'll eat a few regardless if you're staring at her or not.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Since you've moved her there is a chance she will abort her fry as she will be stressed.

4. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Personally, I am not a fan of removing the mother from the tank. Doing so will cause more stress than the other fish were giving her. If you have plans and want to keep all the fry then remove her from the tank and give her a suitable tank for a while before she gives birth. No telling when she will begin giving birth, but I agree to leave her in the dark and it may trigger it.

5. OP
    OP
    Sarah Laferriere

:( I really don't want the other fish to eat them all. I'd like to save a few but not tons.

6. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

If that's the case then next time I would just leave her in her primary tank. I would give it over night and if she hasn't dropped yet maybe put her back into the primary tank.

7. BottomDweller

With my guppies and platies I leave them in the main tank. Whenever I see fry I scoop them out and put them in their own tank or breeder net. I usually get about 3 fry from every batch.

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I do this too. I scooped up 20ish zebra danio fry in a few minutes to a different tank, the fry can hide.

9. BottomDweller

Wow. My danios have spawned many time but I've only ever found 2 danio fry!

10. OP
    OP
    Sarah Laferriere

I have a 13 gallon tank with 4 fry in it from last month. I give up though :( I already put her back in the 55 gallon. Oh well. The 2 platies in there are all over her, and even the cories were. They know a snack is coming :(

11. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

I just leave my mollies in the main tank. Quite a few have survived from the previous births

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice