Black mollies 29 Gallon Tank 

hotmouse

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've recently brought some black mollies. Since introducing them to the tank, they have just sat at the top of the tank. Is this right or am I missing something. Everything is fine with the water. Please help!!!!!!

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore!

Sorry to hear your fish aren't feeling up to par. Are they gasping at the surface at all?

It would be great if you could post the numerical test readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and whether test strips or a liquid testkit was used. Teststrips have a notorious reputation for being inaccurate.

I see you've filled in some of your profile, which is great It would be even better if you could specify how many of each species fish you have. This is so that people that see your stocking level, which sometimes has an effect on the inhabitants.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL.

Unfortunately, even with just one of each species listed, the tank is overstocked. Clown loaches really require very very large tanks, as well as a common pleco (if you have one). I suggest you look up the fish profiles for each individual species that you have, to understand how large they get, and what their general requirements are.

As Rhan mentioned above, if you list some actual liquid test readings for your tank water, we can advise further. Nice to meet you!

hotmouse

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Many thanks for your reply.
No they're not gasping for air. Their fins are up and they seem absolutely fine, but do not move from the top. They are eating ok. I checked the levels and the nitrate was slightly high but have now got it reduced. I will list my test readings soon. I have been using test strips but do want to purchase a liquid testkit. Any advise on a good kit.
many thanks

Carl
Rhan said:
Welcome to Fishlore!

Sorry to hear your fish aren't feeling up to par. Are they gasping at the surface at all?

It would be great if you could post the numerical test readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and whether test strips or a liquid testkit was used. Teststrips have a notorious reputation for being inaccurate.

I see you've filled in some of your profile, which is great It would be even better if you could specify how many of each species fish you have. This is so that people that see your stocking level, which sometimes has an effect on the inhabitants.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi again

The API freshwater masterkit is widely recommended on this forum. If you can't find it in any stores near you, I'm sure you'd be able to buy it online. There are other liquid testkits around too, a nutrifin one I think (from memory).

Did you use any type of bacterial additive that claims to cycle your tank? Because if you just started this tank this month, you should be going through the cycle right now.

One last thing, as Jetajockey says, the clown loaches are going to get way too big for you tank And I would be watching the red-tail shark too, they have a reputation for being aggressive little guys, mostly to other bottom feeders. Usually people recommend a pretty big tank for them, just so their tankmates can get away. The reason why I'm bringing this up is because overstocking can impact on the fish's behaviour. It's your choice completely, but if I were you I'd be thinking about taking back the clown loaches and the red tail shark, rather than wait for any problems to arise
clown loach

Also, your gourami can get quite big and I'm not sure it will be compatible in your tank. I'd do a bit of reading to see what you can find, look up old post, profiles etc. Someone else might come along who knows better than me

Have your mollies still been hanging around at the surface? Do they act different after a water change?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads