Black Mold Growing Inside Siphon

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I found black mold growing in my siphon. I found out during my research that vinegar would get rid of it. Is this true? Is there any other way, or should I just replace the siphon?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know about black mold for sure, but vinegar is what we use to loosen up really crusty, stuck on calcium deposits on saltwater equipment. It works great for algae build up too, so I'd imagine it would work for mold. I'd think you could fill the hose with vinegar, then let it sit for a few minutes before flushing it clean with hot water.

I get vinegar by the gallon because I use it regularly for the salty stuff, and it's super cheap. Siphons can be pretty cheap too though, so it's up to you.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 way with as hot of water as you can and add a 1/2 cup of bleach. Put the syphon in at one end and coil it around the bucket filling it with water. Add any additional water yo completely cover the syphon and hose. Let it sit over night. Rinse with hot water the next day and then recoil it in normal temp dechlorinated water in the bucket and let sit a day. Drain and rinse again if you like. Be sure to use plain bleach with no soaps or fragrances.

That's how I clean my 50 foot python.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How long should I do this for? I've been doing this for 2 days, and there's still mold. I've seen some improvement though.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Black mold is from something wet just sitting and not getting any air from around...hm

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the same problem, am following w interest.
What about a tiny plug of just-the-right-size filter sponge passed from one end to the other a few times? Do the cleaning above first, then (with clean water) blow the sponge through with lung-power...

Also, follow up question to above: I’ve done the submerge-hose-in-bleach-solution (5%), an often wondered whether circulating the solution thru the hose via small pump would work better. Assuming proper rinsing after, would the bleach affect the pump?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want to get rid of black mold, vinegar/peroxide won't cut it. Soak overnight in pure chlorine bleach, then dry (if your humidity isn't too high) in the sun for the day. Repeat at least twice.
Or, if you're in North America, Mike Homes has his picture on a can of stuff in the cleaner aisle at Home Depot, it works well but I'm not sure if it would eat the plastic.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just to make sure, but do I need a submersible pump for this method?
sfsamm said:
Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 way with as hot of water as you can and add a 1/2 cup of bleach. Put the syphon in at one end and coil it around the bucket filling it with water. Add any additional water yo completely cover the syphon and hose. Let it sit over night. Rinse with hot water the next day and then recoil it in normal temp dechlorinated water in the bucket and let sit a day. Drain and rinse again if you like. Be sure to use plain bleach with no soaps or fragrances.

That's how I clean my 50 foot python.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't use a pump but I do it every few weeks to keep anything at bay. Might be worth a little pump if there's growth in it. I was a long standing bucket brigade member for water changes until a couple years ago.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom