Black Markings On My Blood Parrot

rohitbcl
Hello,

I have a blood parrot who seems to be developing black spots on and off. It tends to recover pretty soon and is fairly active. But the marks seem to come back before too long. I don’t think this has anything to do with water quality as I have another blood parrot which is unaffected. I have enough and more hiding spots for the parrots to take shelter in.
Any advice would be brilliant.

Cheers
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG

Advertisement
Nikki2577
I have pink and orange bold parrots and mine will get small black marks on them if they are stressed. Not a 100% as it looks like yours has a lot more than mine have ever had.

Advertisement
rohitbcl
I have pink and orange bold parrots and mine will get small black marks on them if they are stressed. Not a 100% as it looks like yours has a lot more than mine have ever had.

The picture you are looking at is actually when it’s at its best. A week ago, it was covered all over with these black spots. I have my doubts if this is stress related as it seems pretty active and continues to gorge on all the food I feed it

Nikki2577
The picture you are looking at is actually when it’s at its best. A week ago, it was covered all over with these black spots. I have my doubts if this is stress related as it seems pretty active and continues to gorge on all the food I feed it

The only thing I can think of then is that is its coloring. I am not good with diseases

KimberlyG
Welcome to fishlore! I too associate the black markings with stress. Your parrot is pretty young, right? There is a good read on a ParrotCichlid site that has an article on "Why is my parrot cichlid turning black?".

AquaticJ
“It is not stress related, it is just part of a natural process. After the black pigment "peels" away on juvenile Red Devil/Midas complex fish, which Parrots are based on, it may or may not return in patches, and may or may not fade again. This can occur for quite some time. As far as the intensity of the red, that is determined partially by genetics, but mostly diet.” A quote from chromedome52

rohitbcl
Welcome to fishlore! I too associate the black markings with stress. Your parrot is pretty young, right? There is a good read on a ParrotCichlid site that has an article on "Why is my parrot cichlid turning black?".

Yes, the parrot is relatively young. It was the most active fish when I first got it, although it did have a tiny black patch on its fin when I first got it, which later spread through the entire body. I’ll give the article a read, thanks for sharing !

The only thing I can think of then is that is its coloring. I am not good with diseases

Thanks a ton! I’ll keep a close eye on it.

“It is not stress related, it is just part of a natural process. After the black pigment "peels" away on juvenile Red Devil/Midas complex fish, which Parrots are based on, it may or may not return in patches, and may or may not fade again. This can occur for quite some time. As far as the intensity of the red, that is determined partially by genetics, but mostly diet.” A quote from chromedome52

Thanks ! It might be case of stress which I’m not aware of yet. Would you be able to suggest an optimal diet for parrots ? I’m currently feeding them cichlid pellets as a staple and flakes and blood worms as occasional treats.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ed204
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Greener907
Replies
Views