Black looking grains on my electric blue acara

Vix1987

Member
Hi
Has anyone seen these before ?

I’ve checked all my cichlids and it only appears to be this guy who has them. There are a couple of fish that look like maybe Ich so I’m going to treat the tank tonight after a water change , however no others have these black grains. They don’t appear on his body scales just on the head as you can see on the picture

He’s active and eating well and is housed with convicts, a rainbow fish, a terror, more electric acara and blue acara

thanks
 

Attachments

Noroomforshoe

Member
I suggest that you raise the temperature to 86 degrees for the ich. Add paragaurd if you are worried about the spots, but skip harsh ich meds.
 

jake37

Member
Doesn't look like ick - why treat for ick if it doesn't have it ?
 

jmaldo

Member
Raised hundreds of EBA, never noticed any black spots. Agree, with jake37 on treating. Try a couple of water changes until you know exactly what it is.
 

Noroomforshoe

Member
jake37 said:
Doesn't look like ick - why treat for ick if it doesn't have it ?
the opp said that his other fish in the tank have ick, and that he is treeting the tank for ich. I suggest turn the temp up to 86 for the other fish, add paragaurd for ich and the mystery black dots.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
Maybe Ich = no (Ich) treatment.
Definitely Ich = treatment..

Should the question not be a double one then? Are the dark spots only on its head ?
 

jake37

Member
btw discus will develop 'black spots' on light substrate (this is a pigment change by the fish not a disease). I do not claim this is the case here but something to keep in mind. If you think a fish has ick post a picture as there are diseases that look similar to ick but are not.
 
  • Thread Starter

Vix1987

Member
jake37 said:
Doesn't look like ick - why treat for ick if it doesn't have it ?
My rainbow fish looked like it may have had a few spots on it’s fin and this guy looked like may have a couple spots at the top of his tail . But it’s been a couple days and nothing has gotten worse I’ve just done water change.
 
  • Thread Starter

Vix1987

Member
jmaldo said:
Raised hundreds of EBA, never noticed any black spots. Agree, with jake37 on treating. Try a couple of water changes until you know exactly what it is.
Thanks . One of my fish friends whatsapped me to ask about substrate they seem to think it’s a bit of the substrate stuck to slim coat. The sub is very fine not quite sand substrate but it’s only got black flecs in its mainly white
 
  • Thread Starter

Vix1987

Member
Noroomforshoe said:
the opp said that his other fish in the tank have ick, and that he is treeting the tank for ich. I suggest turn the temp up to 86 for the other fish, add paragaurd for ich and the mystery black dots.
Thanks I’m going to turn temp up again later I’ve just given them some fresh veg and garlic soaked prawns before I do dose 2
 
  • Thread Starter

Vix1987

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Maybe Ich = no (Ich) treatment.
Definitely Ich = treatment..

Should the question not be a double one then? Are the dark spots only on its head ?
I on a whole don’t like treating if I don’t need to or try to look for more natural based alternatives and like water changes first.
 
  • Thread Starter

Vix1987

Member
jake37 said:
btw discus will develop 'black spots' on light substrate (this is a pigment change by the fish not a disease). I do not claim this is the case here but something to keep in mind. If you think a fish has ick post a picture as there are diseases that look similar to ick but are not.
Thankyou - I’ve just been checking him over again now and whatever it is has partly dropped off as I can only see two smaller grains left on just the triangle shape part of his head. Maybe he is the sneaky secret digger after all and not just my convict. I’ll do another syphon in the morning anyway just to be on the safe side.
 
Top Bottom