black locust...?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by peppergene, Dec 12, 2012.

1. peppergeneNew MemberMember

after venturing into the nearby patch of woods, I found what I thought to be a suitable peice of wood for my 20 long. I know it's from a black locust tree because it had some polypore shelf mushrooms which only grow on black locust. The piece has been soaking for roughly a week now. a few minutes ago I stumbled upon this link in another thread:   . The site states that black locust sprouts,foliage, and bark is poisonous to fish. The tree has been dead for some time and the piece of wood I took lacked any bark because it was actually a portion of the root system.( the tree was uprooted from natural causes, leaving a giant root ball next to a big hole in the ground) So, my question is, can I use it as a decorative piece? I really dont want to spend 10-30 bucks on a piece of wood lol

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I am not sure, but I don't take chances with mine. You could test it in a small tank... But would you give something to your dog that might kill it? I would say either save up or go out and find some suitable wood. It sounds like you live near a good spot!

3. OP
    OP
    p

peppergeneNew MemberMember

yea, I really do. lots of forested areas nearby. Thanks for your opinion. After reading over that list a bit more, it makes me question it though. It has poisonous mushrooms listed as plants. who would put mushrooms in their tank, anyways? And I've read to use oak leaves in place of almond leaves for betta spawning. this site says oak foliage is poisonous. I used oak leaves as i read with no harm to the parents or the fry. (the oak leaves are still in the fry's growout tank) Does anyone have a reliable list of fish-safe plants and trees?

4. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I've read that if it produces sap, to avoid using it. Also woods that smell good like cedar should be avoided. I think hardwoods are preferred over softwoods. Besides the well-known Mopani and Malaysian (which you certainly couldn't get in these parts), I know people use grapevine and cholla too.

5. OP
    OP
    p

Plenty of grapevine around here. sucks that I can't use black locust though. it's hard as a rock and looks beautiful. Is cholla native to North America? thanks for the replies :)

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure where it comes from, but here's a picture :)  

7. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Cholla wood is native to North and South America. I think it is actually a cactus.

8. OP
    OP
    p

huh. well that's interesting. The website that encouraged me to make this post says that all types of cactus are poisonous to fish. Does anyone have a list of fish-safe plants?

edit: oops, it says all parts of the plant but, only says cactus. Don't think it mentions any particular cacti species.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice