Black Lining On The Edge Of Fin Of Male Balloon Molly

Prince Bansal

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a very beginner with freshwater fishes. This is the first time I'm petting the fishes. I have fish bowl with two balloon mollys(1 male and 1 female). The male is smaller than female one.
Its been around 1.5 months I brought them, I see a black lining on the edge of the fin of male balloon molly. I don't know the reason for this. I change the water every 15 days as instructed by the seller.
I'm attaching the pictures along with this post.
Please help. I'm a bit worried about him.

Attachments

Fawkes21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be ammonia burns. How long has the tank been running and do you know your water parameters? Also what filter do you have? Usually caused by elevated ammonia levels but does heal up by itself.

Hope this helps

OP
P

Prince Bansal

Reaction score
Fawkes21 said:
Could be ammonia burns. How long has the tank been running and do you know your water parameters? Also what filter do you have? Usually caused by elevated ammonia levels but does heal up by itself.

Hope this helps
It isn't a tank, its a fish bowl, running for past 1 month now. I don't know the water parameters. I don't use the filter as it is a bowl and wasn't suggested by seller. I change water every 15 days. What should I do?

Fawkes21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prince Bansal said:
It isn't a tank, its a fish bowl, running for past 1 month now. I don't know the water parameters. I don't use the filter as it is a bowl and wasn't suggested by seller. I change water every 15 days. What should I do?
Unfortunately your seller did not give you the right information as you need some kind of filter, even if you're using a bowl (though I would recommend getting a proper tank as bowls are not ideal for fish).

Fish/food waste produces toxic ammonia which bacteria in the filter convert to nitrites and then nitrates (what you remove during a water change). This is part of the nitrogen cycle.

First, you need to do more frequent water changes to dilute the ammonia levels.

Then I would highly recommend getting some sort of filter and a water conditioner like Seachem prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrites in the water.

I would also buy tetra safe start or seachem stability that contain the beneficial bacteria that break down the ammonia and nitrites and into nitrates. This will help kick-start the nitrogen cycle in your bowl/tank.

Once your tank is cycled, your water paremeters should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and a small level of nitrates (you can buy test strips/liquid tests that will give you these readings).

The black ammonia burns should then heal up by themselves.

OP
P

Prince Bansal

Reaction score
Fawkes21 said:
Unfortunately your seller did not give you the right information as you need some kind of filter, even if you're using a bowl (though I would recommend getting a proper tank as bowls are not ideal for fish).

Fish/food waste produces toxic ammonia which bacteria in the filter convert to nitrites and then nitrates (what you remove during a water change). This is part of the nitrogen cycle.

First, you need to do more frequent water changes to dilute the ammonia levels.

Then I would highly recommend getting some sort of filter and a water conditioner like Seachem prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrites in the water.

I would also buy tetra safe start or seachem stability that contain the beneficial bacteria that break down the ammonia and nitrites and into nitrates. This will help kick-start the nitrogen cycle in your bowl/tank.

Once your tank is cycled, your water paremeters should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and a small level of nitrates (you can buy test strips/liquid tests that will give you these readings).

The black ammonia burns should then heal up by themselves.
That was really a useful information. I don't believe my seller anymore. I have few questions regarding your suggestions above:

1) I can't buy a tank as I don't have enough space. But I can do max to make fishes life comfortable in a bowl. Is it okay?
2) What kind of filter should I get? Can you include some amazon or other links?
3) How frequently should I change water and what kind of water should I use?
4) I'm planning to add 2 new guppies in the bowl. Will the mollys be fine with it and gel up soon?
5) It'll be really good if you could refer me some article where there is step by step turorial along with specifics on how to use filters, conditioners.

Thanks

Fawkes21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prince Bansal said:
That was really a useful information. I don't believe my seller anymore. I have few questions regarding your suggestions above:

1) I can't buy a tank as I don't have enough space. But I can do max to make fishes life comfortable in a bowl. Is it okay?
2) What kind of filter should I get? Can you include some amazon or other links?
3) How frequently should I change water and what kind of water should I use?
4) I'm planning to add 2 new guppies in the bowl. Will the mollys be fine with it and gel up soon?
5) It'll be really good if you could refer me some article where there is step by step turorial along with specifics on how to use filters, conditioners.

Thanks
You can keep the fish in a bowl if you do regular water changes, have an appropriate filter and heater but long term they would be better off in tank.

Given you have bowl, a sponge filter should fit (there's a link for one, plus its accompanying air pump at the bottom).

Since you're aquarium is not cycled I'd do a small partial water change every day or so. Once it's cycled, 30 percent once a week should do the trick.

Tap water is fine, as long as its hard water (usually the tap in the kitchen). I live in the UK so the bathroom taps have added softener which is bad for aquariums that's why I mentioned it!

Depending on the type, guppies and mollies should get along, though I would wait until your tank cycled to add anymore fish. Also depends on the size of your bowl, you don't want to overstock it.

Some articles about filters. Conditioners will have instructions on the back. Usually dose 5ml or 10ml per gallon depending on the conditioner brand and tank size.

How to Install a Fish Tank Filter? - Aquarium Adviser

Heater

Conditioners

Test strips

Liquid test kit

Sponge filter

Small aquariums you might want to consider

Apologies for the laundry list of amazon links! Hope this helps

OP
P

Prince Bansal

Reaction score
Fawkes21 said:
You can keep the fish in a bowl if you do regular water changes, have an appropriate filter and heater but long term they would be better off in tank.

Given you have bowl, a sponge filter should fit (there's a link for one, plus its accompanying air pump at the bottom).

Since you're aquarium is not cycled I'd do a small partial water change every day or so. Once it's cycled, 30 percent once a week should do the trick.

Tap water is fine, as long as its hard water (usually the tap in the kitchen). I live in the UK so the bathroom taps have added softener which is bad for aquariums that's why I mentioned it!

Depending on the type, guppies and mollies should get along, though I would wait until your tank cycled to add anymore fish. Also depends on the size of your bowl, you don't want to overstock it.

Some articles about filters. Conditioners will have instructions on the back. Usually dose 5ml or 10ml per gallon depending on the conditioner brand and tank size.

How to Install a Fish Tank Filter? - Aquarium Adviser

Heater

Conditioners

Test strips

Liquid test kit

Sponge filter

Small aquariums you might want to consider

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FSQCXF6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1536597773&sr=8-6&keywords=5+gallon+aquarium&dpPl=1&dpID=51Iy+G6aSbL&ref=plSrch

Apologies for the laundry list of amazon links! Hope this helps
Thank you so much. I was really worried about my fishes. I've named them Nobita and Shizuka btw .
I'll perform all required and update you the recovery status here. Thanks again.

Fawkes21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prince Bansal said:
Thank you so much. I was really worried about my fishes. I've named them Nobita and Shizuka btw .
I'll perform all required and update you the recovery status here. Thanks again.
Those are great names and no problem!

New Threads