Black Kuhli loaches eating?

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Hi! I'm a new keeper, and currently I have 1 tank with some black kuhlI loaches and some assorted mollies.

The mollies get basic tropical flakes, and are voracious eaters. Rarely do any flakes make it to the bottom.

I recently purchased some sinking shrimp pellets from the brand Omega One for the loaches, and dropped a few in the typical areas they lurk.
The mollies preceded to find the pellets and wedge themselves into the tightest spaces to eat them.

The pellets are now gone, with the loaches having gotten none, and the mollies have overeaten (I've learned that they will eat until they die).

I haven't put any other foods in the tank due to fear of the mollies dying from stuffing themselves silly.

Any advice on how to feed the loaches to where they'll eat and I won't end up with dead mollies?

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wait a couple hours after lights out then drop some bottom feeder pellets or algae wafers in the tank . Loaches feed mostly at night and the other fish are trying to sleep or whatever they do

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need to get a large sinking pellet food, you want to drop it in at night because the loaches are nocternal.
The loaches will graze in it for a couple of hours, the mollies will not be able to eat it all.
I have the cobalt algae grazer pellets, they are huge, like the size of a stack of 5 nickels. my loaches love them.

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
I did, but my mollies do not tend to rest very much. I turned the tank lights off at 8 pm, and then put some pellets in around 11 pm. The mollies immeadiately proceeded to dart out of the caves and start eating the pellets before the loaches got to them. When the loaches try to go and grab a pellet, the mollies will peck at them and scare them away.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sav038 said:
FinalFins

I tried this and put the dust into the aquarium, and it all floated atop the water, allowing the mollies to eat it all before any fell to the bottom =/
Take a cup with tank water, swish it around so the powder sinks and pour it in. Sorry I didn't specify that but that's what I do. or take a pinch of it in your fingers and sprinkle it just below the surface underwater.

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Maybe try the algae wafers instead of pellets? They are larger and the mollies shouldn't eat them

New Threads