Black Kuhli Loaches acting normal?

baltimorenative86

I have 7 Black Kuhli Loaches, small just purchased 3 days ago from a local pet store.. They are healthy looking not pale or having any spots.. I was just wondering if it is normal for them to constantly dance the glass? I have hiding spots for them that are grasses, coconut shells, and logs. I know they are sensitive to weather, at least my older albino one is. But the first day they hid, now they are just dancing and dancing.. Tank is clean, no debris, I have a canister filter that is cleaned regularly. I just want to make sure they aren't stressed. I also throw food in after lights off before I go bed, haven't seen them go for it. I've put flakes, shrimp pellets, bug bites. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

cdwag29

Happened to me once I first got them. Another member informed me that it is a sign of stress. I've found that they do this for a while after you get them, and it'll will eventually stop once they settle in. Just as long as they are provided with plenty of hides and food they'll be fine. Mine did this for almost a month until they felt safe enough in the tank.

baltimorenative86

Happened to me once I first got them. Another member informed me that it is a sign of stress. I've found that they do this for a while after you get them, and it'll will eventually stop once they settle in. Just as long as they are provided with plenty of hides and food they'll be fine. Mine did this for almost a month until they felt safe enough in the tank.
Ok! Thank you

EnlightenedOne

I have 7 Black Kuhli Loaches, small just purchased 3 days ago from a local pet store.. They are healthy looking not pale or having any spots.. I was just wondering if it is normal for them to constantly dance the glass? I have hiding spots for them that are grasses, coconut shells, and logs. I know they are sensitive to weather, at least my older albino one is. But the first day they hid, now they are just dancing and dancing.. Tank is clean, no debris, I have a canister filter that is cleaned regularly. I just want to make sure they aren't stressed. I also throw food in after lights off before I go bed, haven't seen them go for it. I've put flakes, shrimp pellets, bug bites. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!
I have some black kuhli loaches/ Java loaches and they seem to do that when I do a water change, the water being the same parameters as what was taken out. Same temperature as well. Not sure if they just move because of changes in water, much the same way that they can sense weather. Maybe it's a response thinking that any change in water parameters are a flood or something bad coming and they need to seek shelter elsewhere where they had the same conditions. But I think you should note when they start darting. If they are just gently and slowly moving around they are probably doing the loach dance and taking a swim around the tank. The dashing and darting is usually stress, like disturbing their hiding spots or big water changes.

Mine tend to glide around in the day on every surface for food. Not staying in one spot too long. They glide around the tank at night. When I first got them they did do the frantic darting to escape, but then found places to relax and hide out. Oddly they'll even make it a point to swim near or under my Betta fish, Soma. Not sure what is going on there but Soma seems to not mind them at all and regularly just rests on top of them or pick at whatever they are eating as well. Enjoy them! They have so much character!

On a side note, I also have Kuhli loaches in the tank, the banded kind. They don't do the darting unless disturbed. They're much more mellow compared the the Java loaches.

baltimorenative86

I have some black kuhli loaches/ Java loaches and they seem to do that when I do a water change, the water being the same parameters as what was taken out. Same temperature as well. Not sure if they just move because of changes in water, much the same way that they can sense weather. Maybe it's a response thinking that any change in water parameters are a flood or something bad coming and they need to seek shelter elsewhere where they had the same conditions. But I think you should note when they start darting. If they are just gently and slowly moving around they are probably doing the loach dance and taking a swim around the tank. The dashing and darting is usually stress, like disturbing their hiding spots or big water changes.

Mine tend to glide around in the day on every surface for food. Not staying in one spot too long. They glide around the tank at night. When I first got them they did do the frantic darting to escape, but then found places to relax and hide out. Oddly they'll even make it a point to swim near or under my Betta fish, Soma. Not sure what is going on there but Soma seems to not mind them at all and regularly just rests on top of them or pick at whatever they are eating as well. Enjoy them! They have so much character!

On a side note, I also have Kuhli loaches in the tank, the banded kind. They don't do the darting unless disturbed. They're much more mellow compared the the Java loaches.

Noroomforshoe

You could keep the lights off or lower the light. They are probably very confused, and they are likely to have a harder time adjusting as they are wild-caught fish, They might adjust faster if you had twice as many, they are used to living in very large clusters. but 7 is a decent number.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ravynn
Replies
Views
Bettas&Loaches
Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies
Views