10 Gallon Tank Black Kuhli Loach with bloat or parasites?

AquaticLeopard

I currently have 8 juvenile Kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. They are about 5 1/2 weeks through my anticipated 6 week quarantine period, after which they will be moved to my 29gal tank. One loach has had a bloated patch half way down her body since she came home from the fish store. I thought it was just bloat initially, but it has not gone away. She is active, eats well and none of the other loaches have shown any signs of illness.

I feed Fluval bug bites or Nutrafin max sinking bottom feeder pellets once a day. Once a week I feed either frozen blood worms or frozen baby brine shrimp.

I'm wondering if this could still be bloat or if she has some kind of parasite. She doesn't appear to be gravid, the photos I have seen have been a much bigger section of the loach being bloated looking. Would it be safe to move the loaches to the main tank since they have gone 6 weeks with no obvious illness or deaths?

My tank parameters:
Temp: 23C
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
KH: 40mg/L
GH: 20mg/L
I do weekly 20% water changes, water is tested before water changes.
The tank has been running for 5 1/2 weeks and the filter was moved from the main tank to the quarantine tank. Water parameters have been stable since setting up the tank. The filter is a sponge filter with an air pump rated for a 15 gallon tank. There are some plants in the tank, mostly anubius nana and java fern.

You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

BigManAquatics

Have you tried fasting it? Simplest and most overlooked treatment for bloat.

AquaticLeopard

I actually performed a 3 day fast when I first introduced the Kuhlis to the quarantine tank. It had no effect on the size or shape of the swelling. Bloat was my first thought too. I couldn't find any resources that recommended fasting any longer than that.

In the 5 weeks since bringing them home, she looks like she has gained a little weight, she did initially look a little thin. I'm guessing that chronic bloat or internal parasites would prevent her from gaining weight. I'm a bit confused because in spite of the swelling she is one of the more active loaches, and is usually one of the first to the food.

BigManAquatics

I actually performed a 3 day fast when I first introduced the Kuhlis to the quarantine tank. It had no effect on the size or shape of the swelling. Bloat was my first thought too. I couldn't find any resources that recommended fasting any longer than that.

In the 5 weeks since bringing them home, she looks like she has gained a little weight, she did initially look a little thin. I'm guessing that chronic bloat or internal parasites would prevent her from gaining weight. I'm a bit confused because in spite of the swelling she is one of the more active loaches, and is usually one of the first to the food.
Constipated maybe?

AquaticLeopard

Constipated maybe?
Maybe, but you would think it would have passed or caused major problems given that she is still eating. Can they stay constipated that long with no obvious health effects? I thought lethargy and poor appetite were common symptoms of constipation in fish.

Is it possible this is a tumour? Or could she be gravid? I would have assumed she is a bit small and skinny for that. My best guess is that she is about 6cm (2 1/2 inches) long.

Edit: I managed to measure one of the other loaches that is really similar in size and she is probably more like 7.5cm (3 inches). And google tells me that black kuhli loaches (Pangio oblonga) only get to 7-8cm whereas kuhli loaches (Pangio semicincta) grow to 9-10cm. I mistakenly thought both species got the same size. Maybe she is full grown.

Fish99

Watching this thread...
I have 4 of these little guys.
I bet it's a tumor sense she's active and eating well. Hopefully she is gravid but looking at pics they just seem really fat not with lumps.
Let us know how it goes.

AquaticLeopard

I managed to get a pretty good look at it today, no photo unfortunately. It looks like whatever it is is pretty light coloured, but it also doesn't appear to be big enough that it is stretching the skin enough to be translucent. I have read that eggs are supposed to be bright green, so maybe still a possibility. Whatever it is, it looks to be the same size, shape and colour as it was 6 weeks ago. I think I am going to call my quarantine period over, as this may never change.

AquaticLeopard

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested, this loach is still going strong. The bloated patch never went away, and she is still super active and has a good appetite. There have been no visual changes to the mass, I just can't catch her staying still long enough for a photo.

I moved the loaches to my main tank about a week after my last update and everyone seems to be thriving. I'm assuming this is probably a tumor that is just growing really slowly/not at all. In any case it doesn't seem to slow her down any.

JustAFishServant

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested, this loach is still going strong. The bloated patch never went away, and she is still super active and has a good appetite. There have been no visual changes to the mass, I just can't catch her staying still long enough for a photo.

I moved the loaches to my main tank about a week after my last update and everyone seems to be thriving. I'm assuming this is probably a tumor that is just growing really slowly/not at all. In any case it doesn't seem to slow her down any.
I personally think it's a tumor but not malignant. If it's benign she'll probably live happily with it for the rest of her life :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
Replies
Views
SaveThemAll1
Replies
Views
SaveThemAll1
Replies