Black ich in fresh water?

aleko

Hello everyone,
I'm Alejandro from Miami. I have a 120 gallon freshwater tank, is planted and got some wood pieces and rock too.

A week ago I introduce my tank 6 Angelfish, 2 of them what I consider to be Altums Angelfish... long story short, a few days ago I noticed those two had some black spots in their skin, didn't pay much attention as I thought it might be caused by regular fighting or just coloration.

Today after I did a 30% water change I noticed one of them had a brown protuberance in the top fin, bigger and with more volume than the black spots I previously mention.

Started searching and find out about black ich....
Today I noticed the first black spots have mostly disappear... probably these parasite are already in my substrate ready to get another of my fish?

Does anyone have experience with this parasite?
What should I do?
Is this brown thing related?

Here are some pics of the brown protuberance.

IMG_0667 copy.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Thank you for any help!!
Ale

LowConductivity

Tough to tell from the pics.

#1 if it is “black ich”, I wouldn’t sweat it. It isn’t contagious fish to fish ( you need a bird, and some snails to complete the cycle). It’ll work it’s self out.

#2 fish pictured is not an altum. Great scalare though!

aleko

Tough to tell from the pics.

#1 if it is “black ich”, I wouldn’t sweat it. It isn’t contagious fish to fish ( you need a bird, and some snails to complete the cycle). It’ll work it’s self out.

#2 fish pictured is not an altum. Great scalare though!
Thanks for replying! I do have some snails in the tank, without the birds there is no way the cycle continues?

And thanks for letting me know is an Scalare! I am new to the hobby, still learning a lot :)

LowConductivity

Thanks for replying! I do have some snails in the tank, without the birds there is no way the cycle continues?

And thanks for letting me know is an Scalare! I am new to the hobby, still learning a lot :)
Correct. No birds to eat the fish, no birds to poop out larvae for the snails to eat.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tatianka
Replies
Views
dlevesque1
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies