Black Ghost questions

Laelanna
My husband has searched for information on Black Ghost Knife Fish, but what he came up with is contradictory to what a couple of people have mentioned on here. We had one several years ago, before we moved and had to give it to a friend. We are now getting our aquarium set back up, and he just brought another one home. They have been a little difficult to find down here, though. We were looking on Aquabid, and found 2 we were going to bid on until I saw the shipping cost and told him NO WAY!

My question is how many is recommended to keep together. What he read says either one or a tank full of just those. I had recommended he get one more to keep it company, but he says they don't do well with just two. That seemed odd to me so I thought I would ask. We have some feeder guppies in with it, but it is still rather small and I think unable to eat them yet.

Also, I know that while it is still getting adjusted to the new tank, I have found its behavior a little strange. It stays near the waterline at the top of the tank just skimming back and forth. He dropped in some bloodworms last night, but the fish didn't seem to be hungry. Our other one tended to stay hidden until night time and then come out to eat. We have a castle, rock cave, and another cave for it to hide in, but it has yet to try them out. Although, I think the cories have staked their claim on the castle!

Shawnie
welcome to fishlore!!!!!!! ghost knife fish are so amazing!

Ive had a ghost before and its very unusual for him to be at the top..they are sensitive to light and definitely are bottom tube cavelike dwellers..I had one of those see thru tubes and he loved it....most of the time he only came out to eat or at night when the lights were out.....how did you cycle your tank in 3 weeks? and what's yoru water parimeters?

Laelanna
I don't know about all of that... that's my hubbies job. I just say I WANT CORIES! He was going to wait on the Ghost knife, but because they have been so hard to find, he went ahead and bought it. I know he said something last night about the tank being between .25 and 1.something on the chart for ammonia, and did a 10% water change to lower it some. I don't argue with the man over the tank, because its about the only thing other than the TV I can get him interested in.

Shawnie
LOL well, I think the tank is still cycleing and the info I can give ya to pass on, if he listens, is this

DAILY water changes(treating the tap water with something called prime will neutralize the ammonia for 24 hours each day)of at least 50% until you have zero readings for ammonia, and nitrites..and nitrates under 20...ghost knifes are super sensitive so this is a must ...cycleing with fish is tough as the daily water changes can sometimes break the back..but its necessary to save the fishies ...hope some of this helps

Laelanna
Yeah he is planning on doing daily water changes, unfortunately, I think I get stuck with today's change since he was up for almost 36 hours, 23 of those working and is now crashed out in bed. My littlest one and I are spending the evening across the street (literally, unfortunately) At my parents house to let him get as much rest as possible in. I don't know anything about testing the water though, I will let him know what you said though. Thanks!

Allie
We had 3 BGKfish, one was bigger than the other 2 & pick on them. They chased each other around. They are boring with just one...ours hid a lot, so we got him friends. I think 5 could be a good combo.

Laelanna
I don't think he wants to put 5 of them in a 55 gal, Might be a bit crowded. Would African butterflies make a good tank mate for these?

Shawnie
I've got just one in my tank with a lot of other fish. I've got tetras, platies, mollies, swordtails and a pleco.

where in the world did you put him? all your tanks in your info seem totally stocked and then some

Ghostfish
I have my Black Ghost Knifefish now. He is a tiny guy. I found him at a Petsmart. He is only about 4 inches long and looks like he had a accident that cost him a fin. I believe he is gonna do fine though. He is an active little guy and already likes to be handfed.

MinxMermaid
we had one, as we were told to just have one in a community tank. it pretty much hung out at the bottom under the caves. it died after a couple of months, not sure why. i've seen a lot of them at the petsmart here. they have a ton in a little tank and they have those hamster tubes like I have my betta tanks and the ghosts were hanging out in there.

that's my :

Ghostfish
I have always been told to either have one BGKF or 3+. Apparently they do not do well in pairs. Since most people do not have a 400+ gallon tank, one BGKF is usually enough.

They are absolutely my favorite fish. Plecos would be a distant second.

DPmom26
I have just 1 BGKfish in my tank with an African Butterflyfish and a few others and he seems to be perfectly happy in there. I have noticed mine is very active night or day, he spends a lot of time skimming the top of the water and investigating everything from the other fish to the hiding spots. He doesn't spend a lot of time hiding and loves to be hand fed, he is a great fish and very graceful....I love him to death

Ghostfish
I have just one in my tank as well. He was just booted from his cave by my new pleco. He doesn't like to use his tube unfortunately. I put in a new rock cave for him and he seems as happy as can be now.

DPmom26
Update on my BGKF....The day before yesterday I noticed he wasn't acting right, I immediately moved him from my main tank to a smaller one. I wasn't really sure what was wrong with him but I gave him some medicine and some food and prayed he would recover, when I got up the next morning he had died. That really bothers me he was my favorite fish in my tank and I'm gonna miss the little guy.

Sarrixx
I just put 2 African Butterfly Fish and 2 Black Ghost Knife Fish in today. I have a medium sized, holey piece of coral which one of the ghost fish went for instantly. Right now they are exploring the tank but they seem to be rather content in the same tank with the Butterfly Fish.

I have a question too. What other exotic/odd ball fish are compatible with african butterfly fish and BGKF? My tank seems rather empty right now and after the new fish have settled in I would like to introduce one or maybe even two new species of fish to the tank.

nippybetta
I was at petsmart to pick up medicine for my angel today, and I went to look at the fish, promising myself I wouldn't get anything. The had about 5 little BGKs in a tank, and I must say I was sorely tempted. I decided I wouldn't get any because they need fairly large tanks and my QT/ hospital tank is occupied (angelfish). I'm wondering if I would be able to get one if I see them there again. Are they almost always peacful, or would they be mean to my other fish? I know the 40G is too small, but I'm planning on getting a 55G soon and moving those guys into it, and maybe adding another school or something. Would a BGK be alright in a 55G? What special considerations do they need?

AlyeskaGirl
I've never kept them but a believe the minimum is 55 gallon but they will need a larger tank when adults.

They are nocturnal, shy, poor eyesight, scaleless and need a well established, well cared for tank; clean water. Lost of hiding spots to feel comfortable.

I find them to be interesting but seem so delicate.

nippybetta
I change my water every weekend, I think I'll put lots of plants in the 55 when I get it, and at least 3 caves. Do you know how fast they grow?

maxima423
a friend of mine has a solo BGK in a 120 gallon and he hides in a long pipe =] he has had the BGK for close to 4 years, about 1ft or a little longer, he did grow it out in a 55g, but as for long term I have no clue ( he is the one to actually get me to start fish keeping ), so ill ask him for you when I see him next weekend and ill try to get a pic ( if he lets me )

they are VERY shy indeed, he told me it took about a month or two to feed him when hes in front of the tank and even longer to hand feed

nippybetta
Wow. My hopes would obviously be to get another, bigger fish tank in a year or two, I have to convince my parents to let me get it. Do you know how long it was in the 55g?

RogueAgent94
They grow extremely fast if they are kept in good conditions. Also they'll eat any small, cylindrical fish like Tetras. You'll need dI'm lights to keep them as well.

Winnie the Pooh
The need a 75 for life, IMO. And they are predators, so any small fish will eventually be eaten.

maxima423
Wow. My hopes would obviously be to get another, bigger fish tank in a year or two, I have to convince my parents to let me get it. Do you know how long it was in the 55g?

he kept it in the 55 gallon for three years, but mainly because his wife didnt want to get another tank, he would of done it much sooner if he could

nippybetta
Would they eat my cherry barbs or guppies- I have lots of 3 month old guppies in the main tank right now? My remaining platy has a digestion problem, so she's really fat, and I don't think any of them could fit in it's mouth yet. I suppose I would leave those fish in the 40 gallon when I upgrade, and maybe get some sort of schooler with taller bodies (serpae tetras?)

RogueAgent94
Yes they would eat both. They may eat serpaes depending on the size. BGKs look as if they have small mouths but they, like all knifefish that I've kept, have very large mouths.

nippybetta
Hmmm... black skirt tetras? They look kind of ugly at the stores, but I think that's because they're all sick.

RogueAgent94
Yeah those will be fine.

nippybetta
Cool, I'll look into those.

P.S. they would be all right with angels, a blue ram, and a DG, right?

RogueAgent94
Hi,

Well Skirt Tetras are the right shape. You could try other tetras. I believe large Serpaes, Lemons, and Von Rios would be fine. It depends on size mostly. I think tetras like Congos would be really best because they get huge.

And to your question above, yeah those all should be fine. I'd be a bit worried about the ram if it is really small but other than that they should all be fine.

nippybetta
He was the smaller of the two I had, but also the alpha. He's longer than the DG, and full grown, I've had him since October.

Jello
Hi!!!

I've just started a 20 gallon square tank. At the fish store, one type of fish I wanted was not there, so I got 4 Ghost Knifefish instead, because the shopkeeper said that it was okay with the rest of the fish I was getting (10 Cardinal Tetras and 2 small cory/catfish things whose name I have forgotten...). After getting home and doing some research, I found out the Ghost Knifefish are actually carnivorous and may eat my tetras?!

Do you think that these fish will live together peacefully? What do you think I should do? The Cory/Catfish things are about 1 inch each, and the tetras are also 1 inch each. The Ghost Knifefish are about 2 inches each.

Also, some of my plants have started to turn yellow... What should I do?

173ABN
You need to return the knife fish ASAP. They will get huge. Your tank isn't big enough for 1, let alone 4. They absolutely will eat your other fish. Your cardinals and corys are good in that tank, but I would add 3 more corys, they like to be in school. Make sure you are buying fish that you have the ability and equipment to care for properly otherwise you are wasting your money and creating a hard life for your fish. Don't believe the people at pet stores. 90% of them have no idea what they are talking about.

Jello
Thanks a lot But what if the pet store won't let me return them? Also, can you suggest any other types of fish for my tank? Are guppies okay? and how many?

QQQUUUUAADDD
Return the cories too. If you want guppies, I would get all males. You wouldn't want too many baby fish overrunning your tank.

10 Cardinal Tetras
5 Male Guppies

That would be good.

173ABN
+1 on the stock list above. That would be a colorful tank!

TheFishAddict
Yes, return the Ghost Knife. I have learned this lesson too. You have to reaserch the fish before you buy. No matter how temptin,g never buy on the first sight. I made that mistake when I put three GSP's in my ten gallon.

Jello
Thanks everyone for your input! I kinda want a group of fish that would fill out the whole tank (like bottom, top and middle). Do you think that if I get a few female guppies as well, that I could have a fish that would eat the babies? <-- I know that's kinda cruel, but I wanna see the guppies breed XD.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still new to the aquarium world, and I just wanna get all the info I can before its too late!

QQQUUUUAADDD
Your tank is cycled right? Cycling is not just letting your water circulate. It's establishing beneficial bacteria in your filter.

liquidsunset
The jist I got from black ghosts is they get big, and they like to kill stuff. Horrible lfs for telling anyone different.

My personal opinion is you should be willing to put in just a smudge of effort more than a fry eater in preventing guppy breeding if you aren't interested in fry. In hindsight I wish I never had a mixed batch. The females had to be watched and as soon as I let up then boom, dead (but fry swimming all over).

As a beginner (and even others have experienced), females can really get tortured while pregnant to the point of dying from stress. If you get females are you prepared to QT if necessary? Males can really hound them, as well as many different fish wanting a snack out her belly x.X

In regards to the plants, what kinds and what type of lighting? Sounds like inadequate lighting, or maybe rotting (like you put a java fern in substrate).

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Wrench
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
THRESHER
Replies