30 Gallon Tank Black Ghost Knifefish Acting Weird With Blue Lobster

jlewin_80

Reaction score
Black Ghost Knife Acting Very Weird With Blue Lobster

I just introduced my blue lobster and my BGK was acting very curious around it.

isis

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI there and welcome to fish lore! I love your video!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Tell us more about yourself and the tank(s) you have

BTW I hear that BGK fish are pretty much predictor fish and they will eat about anything that can fit into their mouths... trust me if you have tetras... he WILL eat them all!! I also hear that they can give off an electrical pulse as well.
Just keep that in mind - I don't want them to ruin your tank and eat your fish - or that beautiful blue 'lobster' you have there.

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like that little guy is going to be in a lot of trouble if they stay in the same tank...I'd hate for you to lose him!

isis

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah.. am I wrong if I say that the behavior seems a bit hostile?

PS. here is something I'd like to add:

Black Ghost Knife - Apteronotus albifrons

Species name: Apteronotus albifrons

Synonym: Apteronotus passan , Gymnotus albifrons, Sternarchus albifrons, Sternarchus lacepedii, Sternarchus maximilliani

Common Names: Black Ghost Knife

Family: Apteronotidae (Ghost knifefishes)

Order: Gymnotiformes (knifefishes)

Class: ActinopterygiI (ray-finned fishes)

Max. size: 50 cm / 20 inches

Environment: freshwater

Origin: South America. Venezuela to Paraguay, Paraná rivers and the Amazonas Basin of Peru

Temperament: Somewhat aggressive.

Company: Can be kept in a community aquarium with other calm species that are to big to be swallowed.

Water parameters: pH 6.0-8.0, temperature 23-28°C / 73-82° F

Aquarium setup: This species requires a very large well planted aquarium. It is best not to keep more then one of these fishes together in one aquarium. The aquarium should be decorated with a lot of narrow hiding places among rotes, rocks and plants and a small stoned substrate. Floating plants should be used to dI'm the lighting.

Feeding: Accepts most kinds of live and frozen food. Most specimens can be trained to accept pellets.

I must say... I'm looking at your video over and over... and you have some awesome fish in there...Please tell us more of what you have in your tank?

OP
J

jlewin_80

Reaction score
This was when I first introduced my lobster into my tank and I was certainly concerned that the actions my BGK was showing was going to turn into more of a problem but the tables have turned and I've found that my lobster was causing all sorts of problems for my tank.

I have recently and relunctantly returned my lobster to the pet shop. My lobster, BGK and Rope Fish all decided that they wanted to share the same cave all though there is plenty of hiding spaces for all three to have their own space. My lobster had been slowly hacking away at my BGK's analfin and he seemed to be very stressed and was looking to be in quite poor health. I was almost sure I was going to lose him. It has been about two weeks since I returned my Lobster and my BGK is getting back to his old self quite quickly.

A warning to all others out there as well that might be interested in a lobster; he is a menace and will eat any fish he can catch. I've lost about 4 fish in the two months I had him and I had a couple of live plants that were all chopped off at the roots from his claws. If you do get one I recommend having very quick fish as anything that is a slow moving fish will disappear.

As for my BGK, I have not had any problems what-so-ever. I do not keep any small fish in my tank as I have several large mouths in my tank. My BGK, Rope Fish, and Pictus all have mouths large enough to eat anything that is smaller such as neon's. Very soon I will be getting an African Butterfly Fish as well and these guys have very large mouths and will certainly eat any small fish.

isis

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh dear! And here I was all worried about he lobster instead of the other fish! I'm glad that you were able to take him back. So sorry that he caused so much damage to your thank.
thank you for telling us!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishpie said:
I think they like each other
fishpie, if you read jlewin_80's post you'll see that it was hostile behavior.

jlewin_80 said:
My lobster had been slowly hacking away at my BGK's analfin and he seemed to be very stressed and was looking to be in quite poor health. I was almost sure I was going to lose him. It has been about two weeks since I returned my Lobster and my BGK is getting back to his old self quite quickly.
A warning to all others out there as well that might be interested in a lobster; he is a menace and will eat any fish he can catch.

New Threads