Black Ghost knife questions

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Can a black ghost knife be with 4 silver dollars and a tiger Oscar in a 75 gallon tank the filtration is a emperor 400 and a marineland 350 and it has many hiding places like a 3 foot piece of hollow drift wood.

Also what do you feed ghost knifes and do they come out often like are they very active in the daytime.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

a 75 is a good grow out tank for a BGK, though I am not sure how it would hold up to an oscar. It's not really an aggressive fish. I'm sure a large specimen could do okay, but I doubt the ones that regularly for sale could. I've tried a couple times, and am going to try one last time - the issue I had was getting them to eat.

3. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Alright the ones my lfs sells are 8 inches they just order 1 once a week and I think it might work if I fed maybe an hour after lights go out what do you think.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

When I get one, it's gonna be kept in quarantine for a few months. I want to make sure it's eating well before I introduce it into the larger tank.

5. josh7 Well Known Member Member

That's what I was gonna do after the tank is cycled just add him leave him Aline for 2 weeks and make sure he is eating good I think I will try it though do you think it might work out.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

IME 2 weeks is no where near long enough. The two I had lived for 2-3 months each, before they died - never saw them eat.

7. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Really how about I try 1 month and see what happensif he is eating then I will try others if not I will just keep on waiting.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well, it'll take as long as it takes ;)

9. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Yah I know thats just how long I want it to take.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm right there with ya