black ghost knife & oscar

username

Valued Member
Reaction score
If I get a tiger oscar and a black ghost knife and they're both at their maximum sizes, would a 55 gallon tank be ok to put them in? If not then how big of a tank would they need?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You definately need to research the ghost knife fish. A 55 gal. is really just the bare minimum you need for the oscar alone, and I believe the ghost knife fish gets quite large also. Plus the knife fish put out an electrical charge (I think), and those close quarters as the fish grow might be a real problem. I think the oscar would probably not get along with a ghost knife in the tank anyway. Oscars seem to get grumpier as they get older, and don't usually like roommates.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The oscar alone needs 55 gallons of water.

username

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gunnie said:
You definately need to research the ghost knife fish.  A 55 gal. is really just the bare minimum you need for the oscar alone, and I believe the ghost knife fish gets quite large also.  Plus the knife fish put out an electrical charge (I think), and those close quarters as the fish grow might be a real problem.  I think the oscar would probably not get along with a ghost knife in the tank anyway.  Oscars seem to get grumpier as they get older, and don't usually like roommates. 
Could the knifefish's electric charges kill it's tank mates?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
username said:
Gunnie said:
You definately need to research the ghost knife fish.  A 55 gal. is really just the bare minimum you need for the oscar alone, and I believe the ghost knife fish gets quite large also.  Plus the knife fish put out an electrical charge (I think), and those close quarters as the fish grow might be a real problem.  I think the oscar would probably not get along with a ghost knife in the tank anyway.  Oscars seem to get grumpier as they get older, and don't usually like roommates. 
Could the knifefish's electric charges kill it's tank mates?
After reading this link, it appears that the electrical charge is how it finds its food. I don't think it would kill the oscar, but it could cause problems in the tank. I just don't think it would work.

I do have a solution though.............2 tanks, one for each! ;D

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a really helpful website.

ebony

Reaction score
I have a black ghost knife myself they can grow up 58cm long. I was told not to have with any other agressive fish with them because it would turn out to be very messy for the both of them. I hope that helps a little bit

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom