Black Ghost Knife Fish

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

Saw these beauties in a fish shop I happened to see from the street! Finally, something that isn't Petco or Wal-Mart! They had pretty much run-of-the-mill stuff, kind of overpriced. Small clowns that are usually $3 or $4 at Petco were $11.99 I think...wow. But they also had some unusual ones. The black ghosts and I saw an elephant nose, too. The black ghosts are priced at $18.79 and they are about five, six inches long...I want one. I looked them up to see what exactly they were, found some interesting things. I think I may put it in with the pleco and let them have their own tank. Let them grow together, aawwwwww.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They are fascinating fish and can get quite large. Are they shy? Can't remember.
    Carol

3. Janmitch22 Member Member

My understanding is that they're pretty shy, but they'll strike out when they feel threatened. They've been known to scrabble over territory, and unless you've got a really big tank, you shouldn't keep more than one. I forgot where I read all of this...I went to several sites. At the store I was warned against keeping little zippy fish in the same tank (neons, white clouds, etc.) They'll hunt them down and take them out when night falls.  They have pretty big mouths, so I can see them just swallowing the poor tetras one by one. 
    And if the tank is too bright, they'll remain in whatever cave you provide for it. I want to see this guy, so I did what the store did: I got this glass chimney, the glass part of an oil lantern. I found a picture: clear.gif He'll want to hover around in there and you can still see him.

4. Janmitch22 Member Member

I guess my fish is settling in okay. I'm trying to get him to eat out of my hand...I just started today, though. Since they locate their food by weak electric pulses, I thought it'd be neat to feel (If you can feel it at all.) So I just stuck my hand in there and waited for the fish to come to me. He kept circling closer and closer, but I got bored after a while, lol. Maybe he'll recognize my hand "signature" later when I feel like doing it again. And maybe I'll actually use food next time. He goes nuts when he smells it in the water. I just have this unfounded fear that he'll bite my fingers. I know he doesn't have any teeth, but the way he nips at that brine shrimp...kinda puts me on edge. Otherwise, he's kind of cute! :p

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Pictures?? ;D
    Carol

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

yes I love pics of other people's tanks ;D ;D
    I guess I like feeling jealous :)

7. Janmitch22 Member Member

I have to find ways to waste the rest of my film. I'm probably the last person on earth withought a digital camera....