Black ghost knife fish erratic behaviour

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by chancefavours, Jul 26, 2015.

1. c

chancefavours New Member Member

Hi,
    my black ghost knife fish is approx 5 years old, and has always lived in a community tank. In the last 4 months or so, he/she has started being very active at the top of the tank, even swimming vertically with about 1/5th of his body out. He/she has even made contact with the glass lids.
    Nothing has changed recently, still doing weekly 1/4 tank water changes, temp is steady at 25c, and ph sits close to neutral. Feeding twice a day with frozen blood worms, sinking pellets or flake.
    I'm only going to take a guess, but maybe he has suddenly noticed his reflection ? Maybe becoming sexually mature or territorial ?
    There's a pic attached, hopefully it works.

thanks !

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Beautiful tank! Hopefully you will receive some responses before long.

I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank is it? It looks a bit small to me. They typically require 100+ gal tanks.

4. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Mine is the same sometimes, not breaching the surface but it does sometimes stay out in the open. I've no idea why. Water is fine. Mine is 8 years old. Electrical fish seem to have needs we don't really understand...

5. OP
    OP
    c

4ft x 1ft x 1ft tank
    Tank mates - 5 clown loaches, 3 silver dollars, one dwarf gaurami, one skull creek rainbowfish. All from start.
    PH - 6.6
    Nitrite - 0ppm
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrate - 0ppm
    No new medication / salts etc.

Tried turning heater off but no change (stray currents)

6. TexasDomer

The dimensions are coming out as a 29 gal tank. Is that true? That's way too small for this fish and the clown loaches. You should consider rehoming both the loaches and the knife fish, or upgrading to a 100 gal (at the minimum). Keeping them in such a small tank can have bad effects on their health.

Also, sounds like your tank isn't cycled. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

7. hampalong

Yeah, 4x1x1 is way too small for a 5 year old BG. Also Clown Loaches are not good tankmates for them in a big tank with lots of space, let alone a small one. It will probably stay out more than it wants to because of them. It will tend to stay out of their way?

8. OP
    OP
    c

Are you saying it's not cycled because there is no nitrates ? The tank is several years old and I never seem to read nitrates, and have had no problems.

looking at a new tank as the most common response over several sites and aquarium shops.

9. TexasDomer

Yes, when tanks are properly cycled, they have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20+ nitrates. Unless you have a lot of plants that uptake nitrates?

A 100 gal or 125 gal would suffice for the knife!

10. hampalong

11. z

zakocsm Valued Member Member

Whoa, yea, don't keep a BGK in a 30 gallon. They really need a 100+ gallon tank, and 125 preffered. Definatley upgrade your tank as soon as you can or rehome it, that is why that fish is suffering because that tank is tiny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice