Black Ghost Knife Beginner

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by Ilikefishes, Apr 9, 2018.

1. IlikefishesNew MemberMember

Hello, I've fallen in love with the fish keeping hobby and have had small tanks for about a year and have recently purchased a 55 gallon tank. I really want a black ghost knife fish I have been researching as much as I can on these beautiful fish but I want this fish to have a happy life so I plan to purchase a young bgk and an ornate bichir from my fav store any suggestions on how to raise one properly I don't want to make any mistakes.
    If I get a young bichir and raise him with the young bgk I have heard they get along fine but I just want to hear from you guys

2. kettlekorn13

kettlekorn13Valued MemberMember

The bgk will eventually need at leat 100 gallon tank. I have one i am currently putting in a 55 until it can go in my 100 gallon.

3. OP
    OP
    I

IlikefishesNew MemberMember

That's what I also plan to do raise him in the 55 until he out grows it. Is a 75 gallon alright for him? I found one for a good price. I also only plan on having these 2 fish possibly a small school of something with color eventually but in a bigger tank of course.

4. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

maybe get the 75 first. I have seen one over a foot long in a pet store

5. kettlekorn13

kettlekorn13Valued MemberMember

He would be a little cramped in a 75, but he would be able to live there for 4-5 years no problem

6. shiv234

well i mean they usually grow to about a foot long.

7. OP
    OP
    I

They have one special ordered for me it will only be around 3 inches when I get him

8. shiv234

you do know they are very sensitive animals...right? Is your tank cycled?

9. OP
    OP
    I

I won't be picking him up until it is and yes I do know about there sensitiveness I have done my research

10. shiv234

cool. just checking
    enjoy fish keeping

11. OP
    OP
    I

Any advice on best feeding methods? I've seen and read about feeding them at night on a schedule. What's best for them?

12. shiv234

feed it once a day at night since it is nocturnal. Maybe try daytime feeding to when it gets used to you.
    You should get a pack of frozen bloodworms to feed for the first few days since they are carnivores or use whatever you want to feed it and soak it with garlic juice to make the fish want it

13. puffer boi

puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

he gonna need way bigger then a 75g they can grow over 20 inches!

14. shiv234

in captivity more like a foot unless you got a 200g tank. I kept one once in a 720g tank and it only got to a foot long

15. puffer boi

puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

oh nevermind i just googled it and aot said up to 2 feet:confused:

16. shiv234

in the wild yes.....but 9 out of 10 times in captivity they don't reach that large. but they do get to that size in the wild.

17. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I would get the largest sized tank a size possible.

Try to get a longer thank.

And also, if you have enough hiding areas, a knife might not swim around too much.

For feeding, use frozen or live.

You could keep a large QT tank and breed guppies for feeding.

18. OP
    OP
    I

How long can I have him in the 55 before i will need the bigger tank? I thought about keeping a smaller tank and raising the pregnant ghost shrimp I already have. Do they like anything other than guppy's for live feeding I want to try it all Ive heard they like a variety.

19. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Try larger things too.

If you can, get a large tub, heavily plant it, and breed minnows like rosy reds.

20. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

just a word of warning. the lfs had one who was fine. then a well-meaning employee removed its hiding log (like a long cave...pvc pipe works too) & forgot to put it back...

the next morning: carnage.

the ghost knife had eaten BOTH eyes out of one tetra & one eye of another.

I guess it was like if I can't hide so you can't see me, I WILL TAKE YOUR ABILITY TO SEE ANYTHING EVER AGAIN!

so yeah. lovely fish. paranoid if it doesn't have hiding spots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice